cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Re-Installation Problems

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Re-Installation Problems

All of a sudden when I started trying to run MC14 (Windows XP) I started getting the error message

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

etc.

The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.

I followed the suggestion in an earlier post to install the prereqs before re-installing MC14. I do not get the error message any more, but now the MC14 doesnt start.

Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The later service release of 14 requires a later version of dotnet (3.5 in fact). Download and install dotnet 3.5:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en

This may require you to uninstall earlier versions, but don't worry about that. The installer will also install versions 3.0 and 2.0. Once they are installed you will need to use Windows Update to install a number of service packs. Keep cycling through Windows update until there are no more essential updates.

As an aside, it's not a good idea to remove prerequisites like dotnet versions from your computer unless you are 100% sure you know exactly which software packages rely on them (which, since a software package may not advertise it's reliance on a particular prerequisite, is almost impossible).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Your post implies that Mathcad used to run OK on the same machine. Have you tried repairing the Mathcad installation?

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:RichardJ)

Yes, it did run fine until I cleaned up some files to clear disk space (and obviously screwed something up). I did try to repair MC which did not work. Then tried re-installing the prereqs (I had trouble re-installing Net Framework on the MC as it required deleting some later versions). Now repair says it is fine. But when I start the program, the logo comes up, but then nothing happens. It is, however, apparently running because if I shutdown the computer, it asks if I want to end the non-responsive program MC.

Thanks for the response. Maybe the more info above will spark some ideas?

You could try uninstalling Mathcad completely and reinstalling.

But, you say you had problems reinstalling the dotnet framework? What do you mean it required deleting later versions? Which version of dotnet were you trying to install? If you go to add/remove programs, which versions of dotnet do you have installed?

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

>You could try uninstalling Mathcad completely and reinstalling.

Ok,will try this. I did not uninstall MC before running repair.

>But, you say you had problems reinstalling the dotnet framework? What do you mean it required deleting later versions? Which version of dotnet were you trying to install? If you go to add/remove programs, which versions of dotnet do you have installed?

When I tried to re-install dotnet framework from the prereq on the MathCad disk, I got a MS message that it was incompatible with a more recent dotnet service pack and this needed to be uninstalled. Now I have\

Microsoft.Net Framework 1.1 and Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0. I (perhaps foolishly) uninstalled some more recent versions, 3.0 and 4.0, but a post from 2009 (Tom Gutman) said that it was necessary to have the right one for the MC version so I assumed the one on the MC installation disk is what was needed.

jwr

The later service release of 14 requires a later version of dotnet (3.5 in fact). Download and install dotnet 3.5:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325fd-ae52-4e35-b531-508d977d32a6&displaylang=en

This may require you to uninstall earlier versions, but don't worry about that. The installer will also install versions 3.0 and 2.0. Once they are installed you will need to use Windows Update to install a number of service packs. Keep cycling through Windows update until there are no more essential updates.

As an aside, it's not a good idea to remove prerequisites like dotnet versions from your computer unless you are 100% sure you know exactly which software packages rely on them (which, since a software package may not advertise it's reliance on a particular prerequisite, is almost impossible).

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

I re-installed all that stuff (And thanks for the aside. Really I should know better than to uninstall/delete it, but I tend to panic when these things happen), then uninstalling and re-installing MathCad did the trick.

THanks. jwr

Top Tags