cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Re. circle around an ellipse

ptc-3352045
1-Newbie

Re. circle around an ellipse

Hi! All,

I thing I had better explain the probblem more fully,

The centre of an ellipse is at (0,0) with it's major axis along the X axis, let the semi major axis be "a". long. At a point "o" along the positive X axis at say "2a" distance from (0,0) is the centre of a circle drawn tangent to the outside of the ellipse, this line along the positive X axis joining the two centres,is rotated in a counter clockwise direction carring with it the circle, but the circle must remain tangent to the outside of the ellipse. obviously to do this the distance between the two centres must be continuously changing, So herin is the problem, to find this length at any given rotation of the line joinging the two centres??

Regards Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is what Valerie (very elegantly) and I have both done.

The last graph in my sheet is center distance vs angle.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

This is what Valerie (very elegantly) and I have both done.

The last graph in my sheet is center distance vs angle.

One more pass:

Thank you Fred, I was trying to do the problem from a purely polar co-ordinate sytem, but I see now

" thank's to you " that it needs to be done from a cartesian sytem and differentiating the equation of the ellipse.

Brilliant Fred I can do it now

Regards Brian

PS. Great video, I'd love to know the maths how you did that

PS. Great video, I'd love to know the maths how you did that

The sheet that shows you the math creates the avi. Look up "animate" under tools. Rresearch FRAME in help.

Top Tags