cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Read excel files without closing them

jvandenbrink
5-Regular Member

Read excel files without closing them

Hello,

Another question from me: Is it possible to read excel files without closing them? 

I currently use the function READEXCEL() 

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:jvandenbrink)

Prime 4 and Office 2007: I have an excel file open and can read it using the READ function.

BUT it only reads what's in the file. So the actual situation in the Excel application is not reflected until the file is (re-) saved from within Excel and I recalculate the region in Prime.

The situation is non-existent when there's no Excel application in play, e.g. if you create the excel file from within Prime and (also) read it from within the same sheet in Prime. There is no function to 'close' the excel file. Every WRITEEXCEL() call opens the file, potentially modifies the file contents and then closes it. You cannot stream to the file as far as I know.

If you're reading from and writing to the same excel file from two different sheets within Prime, you're essentially back to the first paragraph of my answer: Prime only reads what is saved to the excel file...

Success!
Luc

Top Tags