cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Resize issue

John_8490-disab
1-Newbie

Resize issue

Hi, I have AutoCAD drawings embedded in my Mathcad worksheets. Whenever, I edit and update the drawing (by double clicking on the embedded drawing) Mathcad expands it greatly, almost to the entire page.

Is there way to lock size of the Embedded AutoCAD object?

Also, I am wondering is the issue with Mathcad or I have to set some option in AutoCAD itself.

Any thoughts?
-John
10 REPLIES 10

It seems like this happens to me when I've inserted a large graphic and then use the handles to resize it. Sometimes I don't even have to double-click on the graphic for it to resize.

If I use a graphic editing tool to resize it before inserting into Mathcad, I don't see this issue. Not sure if you have such an option with your Autocad item.

Preston

Most likely you made the original mistake of "handle sizing" in Mathcad. So, every time it will expands in the original pixel size in Autocad. Check if there is an aspect ratio option.

jmG

I tested this with MS Word and Excel where it does not happen. Once I resize to the requirement, it does not expand while editing.

Not sure why it happens with Mathcad alone. I follow the same procedure on both(Insert > Object).

I will try to find the aspect ratio option..
Thanks, John.

Try this: not double click over the autocad object, this make that the object is opened into a small client window, but open it right-clicking and selecting Mathcad Object/Open (not edit). Autocad object then must to be opened into a full program window. Then, with fingers crossed, hope that the autocad drawing will be actualized.

Regards. Alvaro.

This problem does not exist with SmartSketch .
I got it free in the mail from Intergraph.
Your "client window size" is more expressive than my "aspect ratio"
[a term from ORIGINLAB Microcal]

jmG
tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:ptc-1368288)

i have had this problem with work. there is a work around that should solve the problem

double click on the embedded area

autocad with launch

resize the autocad window to the size to match the figure size

zoom/pan to get the part of the drawing you want in your document.

exit/save autocad

best of luck

Yes, that's the solution(ssss) suggested. But you are going the illogical way, in the sense that if you draw scale 1/1 in AutoCad and that is too big for Mathcad, you should create a scaled down copy and that copy is the one you embed in Mathcad. The scaled down procedure is standard for carrying reduced size in-situ. So, the "in-situ " here ... is Mathcad into where you embed the scaled down project and that's it !

jmG

Though I don't work with Autocad and have not seen this effect with images that I've embedded, I agree with Jean here. If you have a 2MB image, it is possible to paste it into Mathcad and resize it, but I always use something [e.g., Paint Shop Pro]to reduce the size and color depth of the image so that it uses much less memory when it is loaded. I do this no matter what the target document type is [e.g., Word, Mathcad, AutoSketch, &c.]. This only applies, of course, to images for display purposes, not images to be processed.

Rich
http://www.downeastengineering.com/

On 4/11/2010 9:41:46 AM, woodwise wrote:
>Though I don't work with Autocad and have not seen this effect with images that I've embedded, I agree with Jean here. If you have a 2MB image, it is possible to paste it into Mathcad and resize it, but I always use something [e.g., Paint Shop Pro]to reduce the size and color depth of the image so that it uses much less memory when it is loaded. I do this no matter what the target document type is [e.g., Word, Mathcad, AutoSketch, &c.]. This only applies, of course, to images for display purposes, not images to be processed.

Rich

>http://www.downeastengineering.com/

Quite right Rich, each type of work requires the tools that render. If I click/switch the IrfanView 16.7 millions colors and the 256, they are the same, very same images and no difference with my Mathcad web page under construction. The detail is that the images in my Mathcad web page are already in reduced colors. You can compare the size reduction and a reasonable disk size for the final raster Image 33 [747 x 2025]. Image 33 pastes as is (full size) in Excel, it pastes in Word and PP in their own format to be reworked.
I haven't used AutoCad for last 20 years. There must be a save option in reduced scale to fit in Mathcad and when you click back in Mathcad it opens scale 1/1 for work in Autocad and so on.

Jean

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Ninetrees)

On 4/11/2010 9:41:46 AM, woodwise wrote:
>Though I don't work with
>Autocad and have not seen this
>effect with images that I've
>embedded, I agree with Jean
>here.

But it's not an image. It's an Autocad file.

>If you have a 2MB image,
>it is possible to paste it
>into Mathcad and resize it,
>but I always use something
>[e.g., Paint Shop Pro]to
>reduce the size and color
>depth of the image so that it
>uses much less memory when it
>is loaded. I do this no matter
>what the target document type
>is [e.g., Word, Mathcad,
>AutoSketch, &c.]. This only
>applies, of course, to images
>for display purposes, not
>images to be processed.

The best way to reduce the memory requirements is to embed vector graphics rather than bitmaps, if that is possible (obviously, if you are embedding a photo, it's not!).

Richard
Top Tags