cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Roadmap for usable Programming?

Efried
1-Newbie

Roadmap for usable Programming?

Hi,

spending days and night to find silly errors, allow me to ask for a roadmap. There are certainly some bugs in the software with which we can live but the absence of helpful debugging info of unit ladden calculation programms is a no go.

When there will be a Mathcad version offering this necessary programming support?

thanks

18 REPLIES 18
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:Efried)

Hello!

You can look at the Roadmap for Mathcad Prime (releases 1.0 to 4.0).

Thanks a lot, so in theory my programm shoud be running under Prime 2.0. I will try to get a trial version to test that.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

You're welcome. Release of Mathcad Prime 2.0 F000 is scheduled for Q1 2012.

mzeftel
1-Newbie

The trial version of Mathcad Prime 1.0 is posted at http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-prime-1-0/free-trial-b.htm. It includes programming.

Mona

Efried
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

Thanks a lot, I will give it a try. I have to check whether solve blocks used as functions in programms and ODE solve blocks as functions used in programm will work.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

I would be keen to hear from PTC to see if they believe their road map is on schedule. Because it says Prime 3.0 will have scriptable objects in and that's a lot to include in the next release. Oh, and a sketcher.

Mike

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I would be keen to hear from PTC to see if they believe their road map is on schedule. Because it says Prime 3.0 will have scriptable objects in and that's a lot to include in the next release. Oh, and a sketcher.

Mike

Oh, and a Mathcad server.

Mike and Valery,

We are currently prioritizing features for Mathcad Prime 3.0, so you can consider the roadmap that Vladimir linked to, as a snapshot in time. We do not yet have the current roadmap for Mathcad Prime 3.0.

Regards,

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

We are currently prioritizing features for Mathcad Prime 3.0, so you can consider the roadmap that Vladimir linked to, as a snapshot in time. We do not yet have the current roadmap for Mathcad Prime 3.0

Ok Mona, cheers for the update.

Mike

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

There are two generic areas that come under 'programming' that I'd like Mathcad to be able to handle.

1. The ability to loop around various code sections, separate from inside of a programmed function. That is, make Mathcad be able to group up a block of regions (e.g. an area), in the same manner as a solve block, that can be repeatedly called as if the block were a function. This would also get away from needing always to jump into the special mode of 'programming' which many find to be a tricky step.

2. The continuous processing of external time series data. Once an analysis sheet has been created, it should be possible to continuously read an external input of values, either from an instrument, or from the Internet, and update the numeric results, graphs and charts without manual intervention.

This is likely to be a natural consequence of item one which would allow the whole sheet to be a function and it to be executed continuously.

Philip

Philip Oakley wrote:

There are two generic areas that come under 'programming' that I'd like Mathcad to be able to handle.

1. The ability to loop around various code sections, separate from inside of a programmed function. That is, make Mathcad be able to group up a block of regions (e.g. an area), in the same manner as a solve block, that can be repeatedly called as if the block were a function. This would also get away from needing always to jump into the special mode of 'programming' which many find to be a tricky step.

My view on this problem - http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-1503

Unfortunately working productivity now is much more important than functionality. There are basically three steps in building a program after writing the code, I'm not complaining about the usability when coding:

- correcting syntax

- correcting logic/flow

- detecting side effects

When debugging, there is so far no useful information about syntax errors. It is possible to use "pause" to check the logic but it is not possible to see the variables after the programm has been stopped due to an error- only "on Error" combined with "trace" allows some insight but needs time to write the commands oneself. Tracing support could be much better so we can work efficiently. Variables should be listed like in other programming enviroments, it is especially intersting to differentiate between internal and global variables and show this to the programmers.

Much work to do for Prime 2.0!

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Much work to do for Prime 2.0!

Mathcad Prime 2.0???? I would say future Prime releases.

Mike

Mathcad Prime 2.0???? I would say future Prime releases.

No kidding! I would like better debugging tools too, but first of all I would just like what we already have in MC15.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

No kidding! I would like better debugging tools too, but first of all I would just like what we already have in MC15.

I second this.

Mike

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:PhilipOakley)

An example of making a worksheet (or a major section of) a 'function' would be when one wants to do say a monte carlo simulation on some sheet to see the effects of say parameter variation, etc. e.g. http://communities.ptc.com/message/172186#172186

Philip

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Oh, and a Mathcad server.

2nd this.

Mike

Top Tags