cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Running Mathcad 11 in Windows 7

farberms
1-Newbie

Running Mathcad 11 in Windows 7

I had been running Mathcad 11 on a XP machine. I would like to run it on a new laptop with a 64 bit windows 7 system. I tried various compatability modes with no success. The program seems to install but will not run. Is there a way to do this?

8 REPLIES 8
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:farberms)

Have you tried you tried to configure for dual-boot. Some other people here do that.

Basically you you start your computer in XP mode.

Mike

Morton,

I have MC 12 and had to install Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode. Both are free downloads from M$ site (imagine that). Once you have WVPC installed on your machine (it creates a small partition), you install Windows XP mode. After that install MC 11 from XP mode. Worked like a charm for me.

Post again if you have q's

regards,

cleagl

Craig,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have installed virtual PC with a XP partition. I am running this off Windows 7 professional. The problem is that the setup program does not run. When you get to the initial screen where you click to install Matcad 11, after you click you get a flash of a DOS screen before it reverts to the original screen. You do not get to the point where you enter the product code, etc. The CD definitely works with a pure XP machine. I have contacted Microsoft, but they struck out. I have tried increasing memory size and updating Windows XP on the partition, but that has not worked either. Any ideas??

Mort

Mort,

Take a look at this thread...

Feb 21, 2010 1:00 AM

MathCad and Windows 7

This might have something to do with hardware virtualization....then again maybe not.

I would keep trying. I don't know how different XP can be from XP mode, but it seems like it should work.

HTH

cleagl

Craig,

I don't think that hardware support is the answer. The XP mode runs just fine on the Windows 7 machine. For some strange reason, the Setup program for Mathcad 11 will not execute. I agreee that in principle it should work -- at least that is how Microsoft advertises birtual PC. I keep thinking that it must be something fairly basic, but so far, I haven't come up with anything.

Mort

Mort, I think this might be an answer, try it out.

Seems like most successful installs of Mathcad 11 on Windows 7 have been limited to 32 bit version only. I have run into a similar litany of problems trying to install Single User Mathcad 11 on WIndows 7 Professional 64 bit under Virtual PC XPMode. Here is what I tried after reading through many posts on this forum and what finally worked on my system:

First, thinking wishfully, I tried to install in W7 Program Files (x86) to see if it would run as a regular W7 32 bit program. The CD setup "installed" the Mathcad program files, Mathcad 11 even showed up as an installed program. But the setup program never invoked the activation wizard, so no C_dilla folder was created, no request code was generated. Regtool.exe appeared to have no effect. I am not sure what in Windows 7 keeps the activation wizard from running. Tried "run as admin", XP compatibility, etc, no joy.

Next I tried to install Mathcad in Windows Virtual PC under XPMode. Executing autorun or setup from the top level of CD-ROM resulted in error "Mathcad 11 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry about this problem." I also tried the "Setup Launcher" under D:\Mathcad\setup.exe, same error. Not looking too promising at this point.

Then I tried to run Mathcad directly from the CD-ROM, while in XPMode, just to see if it would even run as an evaluation demo. I ran D:\Mathcad\Program Files\Mathsoft\Mathcad 11\mathcad.exe.This resulted in the error: "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format."

activation wizard success

Then I happened to try "mcad.exe" found in the same directory on the CD. Aha. This finally started the activation wizard. It brought up a notice of expired evaluation period,and requested that i choose an activation method. "Manual" was preselected. It generated a request code, and the C_Dilla folder was now created on the virtual PC C:\ drive. I submitted the request code to PTC and the next day PTC emailed an activation key.

I reran mcad.exe, put in the activation key, and got the message "Activation Completed, congratulations, Mathcad is now activated and ready to use."

not quite there

Things were looking good, except that so far the program itself was not actually installed since the CD setup file would still not work on the XPMode side. I was able to start mathcad.exe from the CD, but with an error "failed to create function manager"; it would not calculate or save files.

setup workaround

I copied the whole Mathcad 11 folder from the Program Files directory on the CD onto the XPMode C:\Program Files and tried mathcad.exe it there. Same error, no function manager, no calculate, no save.

success

Then, <set epiphany = on >, in XPMode I ran the regtool.exe (found under program files\mathsoft\mathcad 11\) selected "Register Components", and... bingo, registry happiness, Mathcad is working in XPMode on Windows 7 64 bit OS.

aftermath

Although I would have preferred to avoid XPmode entirely, as others have pointed out it does run Mathcad fairly seamlessly. You can create a shortcut by Start>All Programs> Windows Vitural PC > Windows XP Mode Applications, rtmouse-send-to-desktop, that will start up the whole chain of Virtual PC, XPmode, and Mathcad 11 with a single command or mouse click from the Windows 7 side.

question

slightly off topic, but if anyone has figured out how to associate the filetype .mcd on the Windows 7 side

with the Mathcad executable in XPMode ? (so that you could open a mathcad worksheet with a double click ). Please post.

best regards,

Mo

CW
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:ptc-1306396)

Nobody seems to mention the fact that it is ESSENTIAL to disable all anti-virus software before tryint to install Mathcad. I struggled with Windows7, Linux (under Wine - does anyone have any suggestions with this?) and XPmode. Eventually I got Mathcad (V12) to install with XPmode after disabling the anti-virus software.

Regards.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-1306396)

Top Tags