cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Runtime error running Print Preview

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite

Runtime error running Print Preview

I recently re-installed MC14 on a new computer running Windows 7. Now when I try to run Print Preview, I get an unknown runtime error. MC was running fine on my previous computer running Windows XP. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Which maintainance release of Mathcad 14 are you using?

In the release notes I find two entrys concerning problems with page preview:

Mathcad 14 M020

SPR 1425078: Mathcad exits prematurely when trying to Print Preview a non-empty worksheet.

Mathcad 15 F000

SPR 1779925: Fixes a problem with Print and Print Preview in specific situations involving the Microsoft Multilingual User Interface.

Maybe its the first one which you encounter (if you are using a pre M020 version). Updating to MC14 M020 should be free: http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Which maintainance release of Mathcad 14 are you using?

In the release notes I find two entrys concerning problems with page preview:

Mathcad 14 M020

SPR 1425078: Mathcad exits prematurely when trying to Print Preview a non-empty worksheet.

Mathcad 15 F000

SPR 1779925: Fixes a problem with Print and Print Preview in specific situations involving the Microsoft Multilingual User Interface.

Maybe its the first one which you encounter (if you are using a pre M020 version). Updating to MC14 M020 should be free: http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

I now realize that I asked this very same question 3 years ago when I had to re-intall MC14. Installing the maintenance release M020 solved the problem. But now (with Windows 7) I cannot get M020 to install....Installer just keeps running and running and running....Do I need to install M010 first?

Do I need to install M010 first?

As far as I am aware of - no. Every Maintainance release of Mathcad is a full version, there are no incremental updates.

Do you have all the prerequisites installed? E.g. dot Net 3.5 (I think MC14 M020 needs this version). Different versions of dot Net may coexist in parallel.

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Even though the issue is moot since I did finally manage to install MC14 M020, for my education how would I tell if I have dot Net 3.5 installed?

I'm running M14.035 on W7SP1 without any problems, and I had 020 installed at some point in time and it ran without any problems.

I'm also running M15.010, MP2, MP3, and Studyworks 2002 all on the same machine.

TTFN

I did manage to install M020 for MC 14 but it was not a very user-friendly process with Windows 7.

Thanks for the help!

I did manage to install M020 for MC 14 but it was not a very user-friendly process with Windows 7.

Maybe you'd like to sketch how for the benefit of other users experiencing the same problem.

Agree.

JohnRudnicki
14-Alexandrite
(To:VladimirN)

Ok, but it is still a mystery to me. After downloading the MC M020 update, the files unzipped but I had to start the installation manually. Then the message appeared "Preparing to install. This may take a few minutes." The little round icon was going round and round and round with no sign of progress. After 10 - 15 minutes I gave up but a computer guy here said it was doing something and I should let it run longer. So I let it run overnight. When I logged on the next am, lo and behold, the installation screen showed up asking for my product code (and then, of course, the code for MC13 since I had upgraded). So then I started install, got the message, "this may take a few minutes." After 10 minutes of waiting with no sign of anything happening on the progress bar, I tried but was unable to close the window. Finally, I went to the task manager to stop the program. When I did, the screen appeared saying MC14 M020 had been installed.

Maybe someone has a clue as to what happened but the only thing I learned was patience and keep flailing away.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Maybe someone has a clue as to what happened but the only thing I learned was patience and keep flailing away.

I don't really know what was going on. I know that during Mathcads installation the progress bar never was reliable and not of help in estimating the total duration. I guess that one of the first things the installer we do is the deinstallation of the older version (usually w/o warning if I recall correct). But 10-15 minutes and more? I can't tell.

Top Tags