cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Seeking for the invalid font.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Seeking for the invalid font.

Hello everyone,
When I start the print preview of a Mathcad 15 worksheet and I try to print it in pdf format, I receive this message:

errore invalid font.jpg

Is it possible to determine the character that generates the error and the non-production of the pdf file?

This problem has happened to me on other occasions in the past. I ran the search excluding parts of the worksheet at each Print Preview. But it takes too much time and luck. I am looking for a faster way.
Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

As already suggested in the other other thread, I guess you should uncheck "Rely on system fonts only" in the properties menu as already suggested by Luc. It worked for me and I could print your file. But on the other hand I never had problems by just using the print preview as you wrote - I only saw a similar error message like the one you mentioned when I tried to actually print (create a pdf) the file.

Werner_E_0-1632314958846.png

Unchecking this options allowed me to create the pdf with AdobePDF.

I never had any problems when I just used the print preview (you wrote that you experienced the error already there) but got the same error message you showed when actually trying to print(create the pdf) the file.

The print preview had problems with the display of some characters (either ugly looking or replaced by a rectangle):

Werner_E_0-1632315774971.png

But the pdf created after printed did not suffer from those problems, even though the fonts looked a bit different from those used in MC and the preview:

Werner_E_1-1632315857417.png

The text looks a bit condensed with a to small character spacing.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Open the Mathcad .xmcd file in a plain text editor (Notepad) and search for the string "Segoe". If it is in a piece of text you should have the location there. If Segoe is used in a UserType, you should search for occurrences of that UserType, or simply change the font for that UserType in Mathcad.

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:LucMeekes)

I found this:

LucMeekes answer.jpg

what do I do?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

That's not the one. This appears to be in a picture. Or do you have an .xmcdz file instead of .xmcd.?

Search further..

I expect it to be between { and } , or after a "Font" item.

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

In fact I am proceeding by loading a few pages at a time, then I launch the automatic calculation, then I disable it and launch the Print Preview and finally the pdf print. Then I start the same procedure again by adding other pages until the error comes out, that is, the pdf is not created for which the error is in the last pages loaded. Then I continue by dividing the latter and loading one at a time and reapplying the procedure described above.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You could also get, and install, the Segoe UI Symbol font in your windows system. Then it should be known...

I still expect there should be an occurence of "Segoe" in your .xmcd file (to be found when you open it with Notepad and search for that string), and it should be Capital S, followed by lower case egoe. The "Segoe" will most probably be found in a context of:

family="Segoe

(with that quotation mark literally present)

Success!
Luc

Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

By now I have started the procedure described above and I am almost at the end.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Is that page reference in the error message in any way related to the number of pages in your document?

(I haven't seen many Mathcad documents get up to Page 278!)

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:StuartBruff)

Due to the error, the xxx.pdf file was not created and therefore the indicated page is unknown. I am continuing to look for the error as described above.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Try different PDF printers. For example: https://www.cutepdf.com/index.htm

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I finally found where the problem lies: it is made up of several lines of text with formulas inserted. What is the source of the non-production of the pdf file? I attach the file (it is a part of an appendix):

Special.jpg

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I assume that when you print this sheet 'Special.xmcd' you get the (same) error message.

I've looked through it and to my surprise found no occurrence of

family="Segoe

In fact it doesn't even contain "Segoe". So something weird is happening.

On closer inspection of the sheet, my hunch is that the problem lies with the backwards E symbol that precedes "M such that". But that's just a hunch, based on the fact that it is the one character that doesn't look the same in the .xmcd file as compared to your screenshot. On the other side the sheet is small enough that you could try what happens if you take that symbol out and print to pdf...

I'm also assuming that you are using the Adobe PDF printer, because looking at that driver I find:

LucMeekes_2-1632311871809.png

This is the interface. Now select 'Properties', to get:

LucMeekes_1-1632311781698.png

(I wonder what effect (un-)ticking "Rely on system fonts..." may have for your case.)

And if you click on Edit (next to Default settings), you get:

LucMeekes_0-1632311661326.png

There's the font SegoeUISymbol. It is not listed in either of the embed options.

Here I wonder what would happen if you set SegoeUISymbol to be either Always, or Never embedded.

Vladimir suggested you should try another 'PDF printer'. Did you do that yet?

Success!

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Interesting, Luc.   

The character ∀ is the "For All" character (Unicode U+2200).  It is not present in Times New Roman in Character Map (it is present in Mathcad UniMath Prime, though).   When I pasted it from the xmcd file into an Express 7 Text Box, it changed font to SegoeUI.  However, it appears correctly when I change the font to Times New Roman.   

There is a Latin Capital Letter Turned A character (U+2C6F) in Times New Roman that looks like a For All - Ɐ

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:StuartBruff)

There is no problem with those symbols as they are provided by MC15.

Q. S. symbols.jpg

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

@-MFra- wrote:

There is no problem with those symbols as they are provided by MC15.

Q. S. symbols.jpg

That may be the case, but just because Mathcad provides the symbol (and displays it), that doesn't mean that the rest of The System is happy with it.   

It would be interesting to know if changing the Mathcad-provided For All symbol to the Capital Turned A cures the problem.

Cheers,

Stuart

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Where is another pdf printer located? In which folder should the "Adobe pdf settings" file be saved? I used the same one of the "special" file, however on a new print attempt, the default settings appear and not the modified ones.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

@-MFra- wrote:

Where is another pdf printer located? In which folder should the "Adobe pdf settings" file be saved? I used the same one of the "special" file, however on a new print attempt, the default settings appear and not the modified ones.

The settings you change when printing a document are not permanent.

To change the default settings permanently you have to use the "Printer & Scanner" menu.

One way to access it is to left click the "Start"-Window at the lower left and start typing "Printer ..." until you see an option like "Printer & Scanner, system settings" (in Italian) turning up. Click it, chose your printer ("Adobe PDF") and use its  property settings to set the desired default values.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

As already suggested in the other other thread, I guess you should uncheck "Rely on system fonts only" in the properties menu as already suggested by Luc. It worked for me and I could print your file. But on the other hand I never had problems by just using the print preview as you wrote - I only saw a similar error message like the one you mentioned when I tried to actually print (create a pdf) the file.

Werner_E_0-1632314958846.png

Unchecking this options allowed me to create the pdf with AdobePDF.

I never had any problems when I just used the print preview (you wrote that you experienced the error already there) but got the same error message you showed when actually trying to print(create the pdf) the file.

The print preview had problems with the display of some characters (either ugly looking or replaced by a rectangle):

Werner_E_0-1632315774971.png

But the pdf created after printed did not suffer from those problems, even though the fonts looked a bit different from those used in MC and the preview:

Werner_E_1-1632315857417.png

The text looks a bit condensed with a to small character spacing.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

the pdf is correct. A thousand thanks.

Top Tags