cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set Theory

Highlighted

Set Theory

Hi,

I have been using Mathcad for some years and have always found that it more than adequately supported my needs. However, I have recenetly needed to perform set theory operations such as union, itersection, difference, cartesian product, etc. I can see no straightforward way of doing this in Mathcad.

Have I overlooked some features, or this something beyond Matcad's capability?

regards.
38 REPLIES 38
Highlighted

Re: Set Theory

It can be done easilyCapture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Highlighted

Hi, I am reading a text entitled Introductory Real Analysis and the first chapter is a discussion of Set Theory.  In Mathcad Prime 5, I note that the symbols for Union, Intersection, Subset and Superset appear within the Math Symbols and the operator "Is an Element of" appears within the Boolean Operators but have found no guidance in the Boolean or other sections of the Help menu regarding these items.  I would like to know based on your detailed response to the prior question if you or any members of the PTC Community have found anything in the available Help documents that would describe how each of these items are used in the same or similar level of details shown in other Help topics.

Highlighted

Here's an example of what you can do, in Mathcad Prime, with the boolean symbols:

LM_20190313_Boolean.png

Note that Mathcad knows vectors. To work with sets, you'll have to do some programming yourself; such as shown by jpilling above.

Success!
Luc

Mathcad has not correct Boolean operators.

For both - fuzzy and not fuzzy logic (sets):

FL.png

Highlighted

Hi, Valery,

More excellent information.  Thank you for your input.

Highlighted

@gerrypete wrote:

Hi, Valery,

More excellent information.  Thank you for your input.

Thanks!

I have translated into English one my book - see two chapters from it in attach - about this topic.

If you have time and wish - correct please the content and my English! And send me the files back!

Highlighted

Hi, Valery,

I've downloaded the files and find that you are pursuing a most interesting topic.  I hope that on the weekend I will be able to review them at least for grammatical purposes and provide some comments.  Good luck in your pursuit!

Highlighted

Hi, Luc, thanks so much for the instruction.  It should have occurred to me that the symbols for union, intersection, subset and superset are in fact symbols as opposed to operators as in the case of "Is Element Of".

Highlighted

"Is element of" in Mathcad Prime

EofSet.png

Announcements