cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Slowish String Handling In Mathcad 15

Efried
1-Newbie

Slowish String Handling In Mathcad 15

Hello,

I'm processing GPS logs and the programm is not much more doing than comparing two strings at once (field in column1 ="y" AND field in column1 =" x" ) and extracing som CSV-fields. But that takes long, very long. Any hints what could be wrong?

thanks

3 REPLIES 3
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Efried)

I have done a lot of this over the past couple of months and might already have something wrote for you.

But that takes long, very long. Any hints what could be wrong?

It might be the way you are calling the data. More information would be needed before a solution could be derived. Or post a worksheet which would be much more helpful.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

As I understand things, Mathcad is an "interpreted" language in the sense that there are intermediate steps between your worksheet and something your PC can act on. This slows things way down. Mathcad's strenth is not its speed, rather the clarity of using symbolic language to tell the computer what to do.

Although Mathcad does handle strings, it is slow in doing so.

I strongly suggest that if you are going to be processing many string based files over a long period of time then you should write a program in C or other compiled language to process the raw data and create input files for Mathcad to digest later. Microsoft even has free compilers to download that should be adequate for simple data and text ripping.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:MichaelH)

Although Mathcad does handle strings, it is slow in doing so.

This depends on what is being done with them and how they are called.

I strongly suggest that if you are going to be processing many string based files over a long period of time then you should write a program in C or other compiled language to process the raw data and create input files for Mathcad to digest later.

Without knowing more information it would be impossible to suggest an alternative software from Mathcad because as usual we have no worksheet or example problem.

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

Top Tags