cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Solution ever found for Running Mathcad 6.0 in Windows 7?

rcastle
1-Newbie

Solution ever found for Running Mathcad 6.0 in Windows 7?

It works just fine except you cannot create or save a new file; Mathcad just closes/crashes.

Yeah, I know how old 6.0 is. I use version 13 quite a bit but want to use 6.0 on my laptop.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

19 REPLIES 19
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:rcastle)

Ryan Castle wrote:

...but want to use 6.0 on my laptop...

1. For what ?

2. In this case, you can install in Win7 a Virtual Machine (eg VMWare, running WIN XP or Win 98): http://www.vmware.com/ru/products/desktop_virtualization/player/overview.html

Thank you. So there is no other fix for the problem? That is, make it run in Windows 7 without running a VM?

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:rcastle)

Another way is to create your own custom portable application. Look at following links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_ThinApp

http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp/overview.html

http://portableapps.com/development

I have a dream to work in Windows with DOS Mathcad (2.5 version)!

Nostalgia!

Smartass

Not helpful.

Valery Ochkov wrote:

I have a dream to work in Windows with DOS Mathcad (2.5 version)!

Nostalgia!

DOSMathcad.PNG

You can run Mathcad 2.5 on a 64 bit Windows 7 machine. I am currently, actually

Type into Google: DOSBox

It works pretty well from my [limited] experience.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4008988)

Type into Google: DOSBox

No Android version

Yes, you can run MathCad 6 on Windows 7

The best way is to save the entire version on your usb drive as you stated.

Then copy a mathcad file from a different subdirectoy on your usb drive, say from Qsheet, filename symbols.

Paste this file to the subdirectory on the usb drive where you keep your own working files.

Rename file to something like blank1.

Paste again and rename to blank 2.

Do this as many time as you want files for the future. You can do this again if you run out of blank files.

Open file blank 1 and delete contents....type in your work....and save (DO NOT SAVE AS!).

Go to the directory where filename blank1 is located and rename the file.

You now can edit and save the file...but do not SAVE AS....you will lose the changes you made.

Hope this helps.

I have done this 10 times without a hitch.

I think it is the work around you were looking for.

Hi Ryan and all

Please help me to resolve a mystery, which will help us work with Mathcad 6.0 on Windows7 64 bit.

I always told people that any versiom of Mathcad after 6.0 sucks and people would lough at me but now I see that there is a strong conmmunity of people that realize that!!

Anyway what I wanted to say is that I have two PCs with Windows7 professional which save as works with not problem ! on other PCs that I have it doesn't work.

If you know someone that is knowlegable in the internals of Windows he can find what is different in my PC that works and in this way we will solve the problem to everybody.

Maybe something in the registry? premissions?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6826442)

On one of the PCs where it doesn't work, right click on the program and select "Run As Administrator". Does Save As work when you do that?

No it doesn't help, unfortunately.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Then it's probably not a permissions issue.

I suspect its something related to the registry.

This is from registry of computer that works with Mathcad: (later I will go to my other PC to do the same and compare)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad]

@="Mathcad 6.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\Clsid]

@="{0004B2E4-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing\RequestDataFormats]

@="Native,CF_METAFILEPICT"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing\server]

@="C:\\WMCAD6\\MCAD.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing\SetDataFormats]

@="Native"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing\verb]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\protocol\StdFileEditing\verb\0]

@="Edit"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell\open\command]

@="C:\\WMCAD6\\MCAD.EXE"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell\open\ddeexec]

@="[Open(\"%1\")]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell\open\ddeexec\application]

@="MCAD"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Mathcad\shell\open\ddeexec\Topic]

@="System"

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You should also compare the OS versions. Another possibility is that there is some system DLL that is different on the PCs that work and those that don't work.

There are hunderds of DLLs, I don't know where to start.

OS versions - working in Windows Professional SP1

not working - Windows Enterprise.

I will look later I will install in other computers and make statistics.There should not be a real difference, I asked about it the Enterprise vesion just contains some more features. See for example http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/67553.aspx

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

One more idea. Look in the Mathcad folder for "regtool.exe". I'm not sure this existed back in version 6, but if it's there try running it, and registering all the components. You should run it by right clicking and selecting "Run As Administrator".

It is not found in my version. I think that if its something need to be done in the registry we can do it manually. Or maybe use regtool.exe from newer version? (need to find one)

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I'm sure regtool from a newer version would not work. It registers every DLL, etc, and is therefore version specific. It was just a thought. I suspected you would not find it in such an early version, but it was worth checking.

Top Tags