cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Solve 2 equations

kenan2
12-Amethyst

Solve 2 equations

How can I solve for teta.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:kenan2)

Use a numeric solve block and solve for theta AND F.N.

It might be helpful to add a constraint like 0<theta<pi/2.

Its the very same as shown here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Solve/m-p/559677/highlight/true#M181249

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Use a numeric solve block and solve for theta AND F.N.

It might be helpful to add a constraint like 0<theta<pi/2.

Its the very same as shown here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Solve/m-p/559677/highlight/true#M181249

kenan2
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Thx very much I think I know how to solve these equations know! 😄

Is solve block the best way to solve 2 equations with 2 unknowns ?  

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

We have been taught that you must have the same number of equations as you have unknowns or a problem will not have a unique solution.  Many problems ((your theta problem, for example) can be solve by simple algebraic manipulation.  (You use one equation to eliminate a "variable" (Fn) from the second, leaving only one variable and constants. 

We later learned that there was a matrix form of this that would solve it.

There are, however, forms of equations that resist/defy manipulation like that.  For those situations we can use a solve block, and let Mathcad employ proven optimization techniques to find the solution.  So you may use a solve block to solve all 2 variable/2 equation problems; but that does not mean it's always the "best" way.

Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

How about a little basic high school algebra and trig?

Capture.PNG

Top Tags