cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Solve for a variable in an equation symbolically

ptc-6635762
1-Newbie

Solve for a variable in an equation symbolically

Hello Everyone,

I am new to MathCAD so forgive me if this is a basic question:

If you have an equation, let's say "a*b*c = d*e" where "a","b","c","d","e" are all variables and you want to symbolically solve "a", can MathCAD do this?

Cheers,

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6635762)

Ignore the red. it's just the numeric processor complaining. The symbolic procesor doesn't care if a variable is undefined.

Type a*b*c=d*e. Note the bold equals, which you get with <Ctrl>=. Click on "solve" on the symbolic toolbar, type ,a. You will see the result. You may get some strange numbers in the result. If you do, it's because the symbolic processor is seeing c as the speed of light. You can fix this by typing c:c (which will display as c:=c) above the expression.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Just check out the symbolic toolbar.

Capture.PNG

I tried to enter what you have but "a","b","c" are highlighted red and I can't enter that space in between "solve" and "e". I want MathCAD to give me a->d*e/(b*c).

Thanks,

Jeff

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-6635762)

Ignore the red. it's just the numeric processor complaining. The symbolic procesor doesn't care if a variable is undefined.

Type a*b*c=d*e. Note the bold equals, which you get with <Ctrl>=. Click on "solve" on the symbolic toolbar, type ,a. You will see the result. You may get some strange numbers in the result. If you do, it's because the symbolic processor is seeing c as the speed of light. You can fix this by typing c:c (which will display as c:=c) above the expression.

Top Tags