cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solving ODE's in Mathcad 14

Highlighted

Solving ODE's in Mathcad 14

Hello everyone

I apologize if this has been posted earlier (or if this is the wrong section), but I need help with Mathcad.

Having started college as an EE major last year, and restarting next year as a math major next year, math is obviously important for me to use. Mathcad is my preferred math software due to the simplicity of the program, and because it's not a programming language. I'm a horrible programmer, and I would go to great lengths to avoid programming. Originally, I thought that Mathcad couldn't solve differential equations, but after looking through the help files, I found Odesolve and other functions. The thing is, I can't see what the function is. The only "solution" I get is a graph, which won't be accepted as a proper answer to any problem here.

So how do I get Mathcad to return a function when solving ODE's ?

PS: I'm using Mathcad 14, but will upgrade if it's the only way to make this work.

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Solving ODE's in Mathcad 14

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Would you be able to upload the worksheet you are working on?

Mike

Thanks

Here's an example of what I'm doing.

I don't think you can solve ODE's symbolically, only numerically.

Mike

You have solved for a function, you just don't realize it. (Need more practice with Mathcad!)

If you want the function that is the solution, that's another matter.

Hello!

I think following link will also be useful ("Inside Mathcad Series: Programming, Solving, and ODE Solvers"):

http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad/blog/2010/05/13/inside-mathcad-series-programming-solvi...

For this sort of ODE you can use Mathcad's symbolic Laplace transform functions to help get an analytical solution - see attached.

Alan

Alan;

Can you please post "Example 1b" as an RTF or pdf file? My 14.0 is choking on Step 1.

Thanks!!

Hi Fred,

I haven't really used the UnitsOf() so I messed around a little with your example.

"Help" suggests you change to SIUnitsOf(), but does not seem to matter.

You can refer to the units of a variable to make the function independent of the units used, it's also more concise.

Also, you don't need to use in a graph.

Thanks for the example