cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Solving / Rearranging equations

NSingleton
3-Visitor

Solving / Rearranging equations

I'm trying to solve the attached equation for T.

W, U, V, Theta and Phi are all defined values.

I can't seem to get solve,T to work. It just says undefined.

I can partially do it by breaking it down but I get to the final step and cant seem to get Mathcad to rearrange in terms of T.

Anyone got any advice?

9 REPLIES 9

Hi,

You can now upload your prime sheet rather than a picture of the problem.

Cheers Terry

Thanks,  I've uploaded my sheet for those who wish to help.

Hmmm!

Without defining values:

Capture.PNG

Many Thanks to those who have suggested solving it before I define my variables I've now got the solve,T to work, but how to do I now put my variables in?  If I move it below any of my variables it's undefined again!  Its quite a simple mathematical sum that I've done hundreds of times on paper, hence my wanting to automate it in MathCAD,  I would have though MathCAD could solve it quite straight forwardly.

Capture.PNG

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:NSingleton)

Fred's approach works.  Or you can just paste the solution as a new equation (T:= ...)  and use it below your variables.  Normally I do my derivations in an appendix and just have the final equations in my calculation zones.   Note, this isn't automatic and could create an error if you make changes without updating everything.   

NSingleton
3-Visitor
(To:DJF)

Thanks, that's is a good idea, the formula is not going to change once its rearranged, and I think i'll use the other suggestions to run a check, just in case.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl
(To:NSingleton)

It solves in 4.0.  You state that your variables are defined.  Don't define before symbolic solving - do it after.  It may be that it's trying to do something that doesn't mathematically make sense with your values. But you can get an answer symbolically.2018-06-05_7-40-15.jpg

B.PNGWould this help?

Top Tags