cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Solving equation though variables

John6
2-Guest

Solving equation though variables

I have the following equation:

John6_0-1581720227673.png

I want to find the value o x, the others variables are all defined earlier on worksheet. After getting the value, how can I link this value to a variable?

I am using PTC Mathcad 5.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:John6)

To get the two solutions of this simple quadratic equation you may use the symbolic "solve" command, or, if all other variables are already numerically defined, the numerical "root" command in one of its two flavours or a numeric solve block with "find".

The numeric methods will only give you one of the two solutions depending on a guess value or you may control the outcome by additional constraints like "x>10".

Whatever method you chose, you can always assign the result to a variable by simple prepending the expression by an normal assignment ("variable name : = ...")

You may decide to attach you worksheet for further help - I am too lazy to retype what you already did and I don't know the value of the other variables.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:John6)

To get the two solutions of this simple quadratic equation you may use the symbolic "solve" command, or, if all other variables are already numerically defined, the numerical "root" command in one of its two flavours or a numeric solve block with "find".

The numeric methods will only give you one of the two solutions depending on a guess value or you may control the outcome by additional constraints like "x>10".

Whatever method you chose, you can always assign the result to a variable by simple prepending the expression by an normal assignment ("variable name : = ...")

You may decide to attach you worksheet for further help - I am too lazy to retype what you already did and I don't know the value of the other variables.

Top Tags