cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Storing frequently used equations

lkunka
1-Newbie

Storing frequently used equations

Hi,

I am a new MathCAD Prime user and I was wondering if it was possible to store frequently used equations so that I could call them back on screen. For example, if some one was working on fluids projects, they could insert the Bernouilli Equation easily without having to retype everything. Ideally this would display the equation and all the variables to enter known data into. Also, is it possible to insert data tables and interpolate between then as in a thermo problem requiring steam tables. This would be a great help to students. Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:lkunka)

In mathcad 15, constants, formulas and programs,  often used, can be stored in a worksheet that can be used as a reference in other worksheets.  You can call, from the new worksheet  constants, formulas and programs defined in the reference. Such a function is not included in Mathcad Prime.

When importing in PRIME worksheets created with mathcad 15 and earlier, containing references, the latter are transformed into operator <<include>>,  but  it does not exist among the PRIME commands and I have doubts its functioning.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

One option is to use  "Include Worksheet" from the "Input/Output" ribbon menu. Its very similar to the "reference worksheet" we have in Mathcad 15 with added caching,

-> Re: Use own functions in multiple documents

-> Mathcad A-Z: I is for Include Worksheets | Product Lifecycle Report

I don't use Prime a lot but I once tried that feature and it looked that it works OK. Not sure why FM thinks its broken. But I must admit that I haven't tested heavily.

One other option might be to put the equations and definitions you need frequently at the top of a worksheet in an Area (menu ribbon "Document") and collapse that area. You will just see a plus sign and a horizontal line (in Mathcad 15 and below we could format this an were able to completely hide it).

Add some header an footer to reflect your corporate design and now you could create a corporate template based on this worksheet and set Prime so that every time a user creates a new worksheet, this template is used and all the necessary definitions are available as that area on top will also be part of every worksheet created. The template could be hosted on a network share for easier maintenance,

In Mathcad 15 and below we could also password lock an area so the definitions in there could be used, but not modified by the user. This is a feature which is promised for one of the coming versions of Prime, as far as I know.

Regards

Werner

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Another option is to use a feature called an "Area".   This allows you to group functions, variables together into a bounded (optionally Named)) part of the worksheet that you may then "collapse" to hide them from the user.   I believe, but not having access to Prime at the moment can't confirm, that you can create Areas on a template that you can use as your default (you can certainly do this in Mathcad 15 - I have a set of utility functions defined on my Normal template).

As with most Mathcad features, you can only use an Area-defined function/variable further down the page from the Area.  This usually dictates collapsing the Area so as not to force the reader to wade through pages of definitions before getting to the worksheet proper!

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

And of course you could build your own library of 'standard' functions equations and other definitions, assembled in a separate Mathcad Prime worksheet. Then, whenever you need something from your library, you simply open the sheet and copy whatever you need over to your present sheet.

Regarding interpolation: that is possible too. Apart from linear interpolation, Mathcad also has several functions for e.g. spline interpolation.

Success!

Luc

tietjee
14-Alexandrite

Another options would be to build an eBook.  I use the feature to document large projects.  The worksheet with the equation could be included as a reference at the beginning.  There is also the option to cut and paste from the eBook.  This is Mathcad v15.

Good luck

David Tietje wrote:

Aother options would be to build an eBook.  ... This is Mathcad v15.   

Unfortunately the question of Logan begins with "Hi, I am a new MathCAD Prime user and ..."

But this was three days ago, so maybe the interest in a solution isn't that strong anyway.

tietjee
14-Alexandrite
(To:Werner_E)

Hopefully that will be a feature included in Prime.

David Tietje wrote:

Hopefully that will be a feature included in Prime.

I won't hold my breath

But you should .

Maybe I shall keep my fingers crossed that this (and so many many other) missing feature will be implemented in Prime in near future, but I sure will not hold my breath.

Hi. What about crossing fingers for a Mathcad 16 new version?

Best regards.

Alvaro.

I fear that MC16 is something which will never exist.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Hi,

it is questionable this approach, and that is, that with each new version of the software we have to learn and relearn new commands, and then do the same mathematical and graphical things ....

Bye

Why do not you are considering - the new owner of the software?

VladimirN. wrote:

Why do not you are considering - the new owner of the software?

?? I am not sure what the question is. The "new" owner of Mathcad, PTC, ist not so new anyway. They have the rights on Mathcad already for about 9-10 years!

And if you look at the "development" of Prime, which is just a disaster, I cannot imagine that PTC is able/willing to spend the necessary resources to develop a true improved and enhanced MC16.

Furthermore PTC definitely stated that they do not intend to implement new features in old Mathcad - that's definitely not on their road-map.

You misunderstood my question (there is no any mention of current owner).

Top Tags