cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Student edition license renewal

aroberts
7-Bedrock

Student edition license renewal

I have been looking through the license information and contacted support, but neither gave me the specific answer to my question: Does the one year limitation for the student version extend to the Prime 5 product only or include MCAD 15 (050) as well? I even looked at the license file but couldn't decipher my answer from it. A little background: I had a previous student version (045) installed and on disc but lost the disc and the computer wiped. So with some time, and need, remaining on my student eligibility, decided to purchase 15 again (I don't much care for the Primes). I understood the license time limitation but would have enjoyed keeping 15 for home use. Again, it isn’t clear that when the prime 5 license expires that it takes the 15 one down with it. Maybe I should consider SMath when a year passes/eligibility is gone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I can confirm that with a time limited license you will also not be able to use real Mathcad (15) when it expired.

Prime will warn you a month before the license expires, Mathcad 15 will not.

So as you lost your perpetual license (I guess you had such for M045 and the license file would have been valid for M050, too) its time to look for alternatives unless you are willing to pay PTC the yearly fee for nothing.

The last time I had a look at SMath, its symbolics was not really convincing, but in contrary to Mathcad or Prime there seems to be some serious development with SMath. You'll have to try yourself if it will fit your needs - after all its free so you have nothing to loose but your time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I have no specific knowledge; but usually Prime's license covers 15 as well.  I would assume that if it expired it would expire for both.

I suspect the same but thought I would just ask anyway and since PTC intends on leaving behind the 15 and previous versions I wondered if maybe they just wouldn't let it go since they wouldn't provide any future support for the product. And again if they do intend on terminating license I would be very interested to hear people's opinions on s math for symbolic manipulation even though I'm very fond of 15

I can confirm that with a time limited license you will also not be able to use real Mathcad (15) when it expired.

Prime will warn you a month before the license expires, Mathcad 15 will not.

So as you lost your perpetual license (I guess you had such for M045 and the license file would have been valid for M050, too) its time to look for alternatives unless you are willing to pay PTC the yearly fee for nothing.

The last time I had a look at SMath, its symbolics was not really convincing, but in contrary to Mathcad or Prime there seems to be some serious development with SMath. You'll have to try yourself if it will fit your needs - after all its free so you have nothing to loose but your time.

Top Tags