cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Sum of series. Symbolic vs numeric

Liv
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Sum of series. Symbolic vs numeric

Why I'm getting different results for the sum in the attached worksheet with the symbolic and numeric evaluations ?

I think I've made somewhere a mistake..., but I cannot find where.

Probably I am so far not able to see the forest behind the tree...

Many thanks for help, Liv.

The worksheet was saved in Mcd11, but same results in Mcd15.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Richard.

Yes, it's not enough to make this difference.

Then the discrepancy is this other: using symbolic it's assumed that in a summative, the upper limit is biggest than the lower limit, but not in the numerical evaluation. The difference between both values (1/12) came from this, as it's showed in the attached. Also is the cause of the discrepancy identified by Fred.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

round.gif

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
AlvaroDíaz
9-Granite
(To:Liv)

Hi Liviu.

It's just a round error. For example, if you modify the expression for the sumatorie, get a better numerical result, as is showed in the attached.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

round.gif

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

I'm not sure you are right. I don't believe this should have any significant numerical error:

The individual elements calculate correctly:

But the summations don't correlate:

Hi Richard.

Yes, it's not enough to make this difference.

Then the discrepancy is this other: using symbolic it's assumed that in a summative, the upper limit is biggest than the lower limit, but not in the numerical evaluation. The difference between both values (1/12) came from this, as it's showed in the attached. Also is the cause of the discrepancy identified by Fred.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

round.gif

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yes, but the symbolic processor is not self consistent:

Edit:

Hi Richard.

Yes, very inconsistent. Same issue appear sometimes with for loops, and are very hard to discover the 'error'. Point is which is the correct answer for that. For me, mupad and mathcad are bad. Wolfram alpha says that it is zero, not one:

zero.gif

Best regards.

Alvaro.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't know if there is a convention for this, but if the assumption is that the upper limit must be greater then the lower limit the sum should return an error, not 0.

Well, that's some radical. For integrals (and the integral symbol it's a S deformable) it is int(f,a,b) = - int(f,b,a). But for sums i guess, but not absolutely sure, that it is zero because there are nothing to add, then must to be zero.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yes, interesting point about integration. However, to me the sum from 0 to 1 should be the same as the sum from 1 to 0. It should not matter whether ones goes through the values of k in any particular order, because addition is commutative.

Thats the programmers view, not the mathematicians 😉

Unfortunately the implentation of the Fourier Sigma summation notation in Mathcad follows the programmers view of a simple for-loop which, from a mathematical point of view, simply is wrong.

In math we have the concept of the "empty sum" when the lower limit is larger than the upper one and it is defined to be zero. That way a lot of things can be presented in a very short way while otherwise would require some kind of case-by-case analysis. -> Empty sum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For some more in-depth reading about sums, summation notation and arithmetic with sums you may have a look at http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~r97002/temp/Concrete%20Mathematics%202e.pdf

Werner

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

Fair enough. Then the sum from k=1 to 0 should not be allowed.

Following the mathematical definition is should be allowed but should yield 0 as Alvaro already said.

Hi Werner. That it is. "Empty sum". I remotely remember this convention, but don't do your research. It seems more than a bug than other thing in Mathcad.

Mupad is a German program, and have some others 'unusual' conventions, and someone's actually betters than american's. But for this case I don't know if there are a 'special' convention by the German mathematicians or it is just a bug in mupad, but guess that this is not the case.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

AlvaroDíaz wrote:

But for this case I don't know if there are a 'special' convention by the German mathematicians

Sure not. The problem seems that Mathcads numerics and also Mupad were implemented by programmers who thought that it undoubtedly (?) should be that way and the problem slipped by the consulting mathematicians.

There also are strange effects in other software, too.

While Mathacds numerics and muPad seem to agree on

good old (really old) Derive thinks that the result should be -3

and Geogebras CAS agrees on

Werner

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

While Mathacds numerics and muPad seem to agree

I don't think that is certain. It's possible that someone noticed the discrepancy in the results, and somehow "fixed it" for certain calculations involving only numbers in the parser between Mathcad and MuPad. If so, then what they created is a discrepancy between MuPad and itself, depending on whether the expression is purely numeric or not. Since the Maple engine in MC11 gives the sum as zero my guess is that Mupad is indeed internally inconsistent, but without access to native MuPad there is no way to be sure.

Hi.

Ah, Derive, it's not dead, it's a Texas Instrument symbiont. But actually was never a good option.

derive2.gif

Richard suspicion it's right. Mupad implement an error over bad ranges.

mupad.gif

But while sum is very consistent, the recommended function for numerics have the 'usual' convention. MuPad is German, and those guys have their own set of conventions, which actually it's perfect to me. Too much uniformization can't be a good idea.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

"Since the Maple engine in MC11 gives the sum as zero"

Not so sure about that. Here's mathcad 11:

Luc

Hi Luc.

Seems that maple's guys (french candian's, I guess) apply the convention for integrals:

maple.gif

But also use some strange convention for how take the limits for the sums. ¿If there are 3 integers between the maple range 1..3, are also 3 integers between the range 1..-3?

Best regards.

Alvaro.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

OK. Maple gets the prize for weirdest of all! What logic do they use to come to the conclusion that the sum of f(k) from 1 to -3 is -f(-2)-f(-1)-f(0)? That makes no sense to me. What happened to f(-3) and f(1)?

Hi Richard.

As people says: "more was lost in the war". How much could be two single points? For an integral, you can take out a numerable set of single points without change the integral value; for instance, the interval limits. But for sums, don't seems a good practice. Mupad have the better assumption. Wolfram alpha too.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

maple.gif

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

To put the example to the extreme (Mathcad 11):

(Prime 3.1 Express, numeric only):

Luc

Looks like Maple in Mathcad 11 followed the correct mathematical definition, while muPad (and Mathcads numerics) don't.

In MC15 the results are the same (wrong) ones regardless if you evaluate numeric or symbolic.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

But at least then mathcad 15 provides consistent results (consistently wrong, OK, but consistent).

I got a different impression from the OP's description.

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:LucMeekes)

But at least then mathcad 15 provides consistent results (consistently wrong, OK, but consistent).

That's not the case. See my post above. If you symbolically simplify the sum and then evaluate symbolically, the result is 0. If you symbolically evaluate the sum the result is 1.

There is still a discrepancy in Mathcad 15 symbolics

It should make no difference if you evaluate the expression symbolically before the function call.

Of course this would mean that the sum should only simplify to that expression if you add "assume,n>1,n=integer" which possibly would make everyday use a bit more cumbersome 🙂

Following the mathematically definition all results should be zero, though.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

As there is in mathcad 11:

Wheras wolfram Alpha says:

Luc

Liv
6-Contributor
6-Contributor
(To:Liv)

Thank you a lot for considering my issue and for the prompt answers.

I've started to write my problem in Mathcad in more detail, pretty much like Fred did above, but not finished since left for work.

After posting I've noticed too that there is a term in the beginning of the series with an upper limit of summation smaller than the lower limit and that might generate inconsistency or/and the error in numeric evaluation.

Best, Liv.

Top Tags