cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Summation using with multiple matrices variables

Heavenly
1-Newbie

Summation using with multiple matrices variables

In the attached worksheet I have a summation that works with one matrix variable but when I add another matrix variable it doesnt work. Do I need to use something instead of the list command? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK, so I guessed correct.

Find attached three different ways to achieve what you want. I would prefer the first, functional approach as dealing with range varaibles as in the third way provided is much less versatile.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Obviously you can't use a vector as end value for a range variable!

What result do you expect - a 3x3 matrix where each column represents the result for one value in N.b?

Doesn't make much sense with vectors consisting all of the same value.

And if your vector N.b would consist of different elelemnts, your set of results would be vectors of different lenghts. How would you like Mathcad to present those results? Obviously it can't be a matrix anymore but rather a vector consisting of those vectors.

The same values are placeholders that will become different values. I expect a 3x1 matrix as in the first set of calculations that will change if Nb or sb change.

Sorry I didnt see the end of yor response about not having a matrix. I somehow need to end up with a 3x1 matrix to use in subsequent calculations, is that possible?

Look at the first (seemingly working) phase your sheet and evaluate the vector x you creted (set display to show nested arrays). I guess this is not what you intended.

Please provide vectors for N.b and for s.b with different values (not all 4's in N.b) and then type by hand the matrix you want mathcad to create.

Here are the calcs I wish to perform and the end result I wish to have if possible.

There is a discrepancy with the first phase of your sheet.

I am not absolutey sure because you again provided a vector s.b with all equal values, but I guess that N.b and s.b always have the same amount of elements and that every element of the resulting vector does only depend on the appropriate element of N.b and s.b.

Given that the obove is correct, your s.b at the beginning of the sheet should onöy have been a scalar, not a vector and also the result should have been just 188.5in and not a vector consisting of three elements.

Is this interpreted the right way?

This sheet has what exactly what I have. Two matrices with different variables and the end result I want being a 3x1 matrix as shown that is populated with the results from the equations manually input to the left of the final matrix.

OK, so I guessed correct.

Find attached three different ways to achieve what you want. I would prefer the first, functional approach as dealing with range varaibles as in the third way provided is much less versatile.

Thank you...that was probably like pulling teeth for you to get out of me what you needed to know

David DePolo wrote:

Thank you...that was probably like pulling teeth for you to get out of me what you needed to know

Never mind - hopefully we finally arrived at a suitable solution, that counts. 😉

Top Tags