cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Suppress Symbolic Solution in M15

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Suppress Symbolic Solution in M15

I don't know if this has been noted before, but I managed (by accident) to suppress the display of a symbolic solve in M15 [Mathcad 15.0 (M030 [MC15_M030_20131216])]

Does this work in other versions of Mathcad?

Stuart

37 REPLIES 37

Interesting find.  It works for me in MC15_M010_20110622.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:StuartBruff)

Hi Stuart,

Here is Mathcad 11:

All reds are "This variable is not defined above".

Luc

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:LucMeekes)

LucMeekes wrote:

Hi Stuart,

Here is Mathcad 11:

All reds are "This variable is not defined above".

Hmm, interesting, Luc.  So, the symbolic evaluation of q works, but the definitions don't carry over into the numerical world.

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Yep, that's what it is.

So its partly helpful in Mathcad 11.

Wasn't aware of this. its nice and useful!

It also works if you type the symbolic expression anywhere on the sheet, cut it out via Ctrl-X (including the RHS) and then type yor function name like q(a,b,c):= make a pair of parantheses and copy in the placeholder you just created.

I like it!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:Werner_E)

Werner Exinger wrote:

Wasn't aware of this. its nice and useful!

It also works if you type the symbolic expression anywhere on the sheet, cut it out via Ctrl-X (including the RHS) and then type yor function name like q(a,b,c):= make a pair of parantheses and copy in the placeholder you just created.

I like it!

Yes, I forgot to add that bit.  Here's another interesting little morsel - try typing f(n)= after creating such a definition!

Stuart

All the same here in MC15 M045.

StuartBruff wrote:

Here's another interesting little morsel - try typing f(n)= after creating such a definition!

Surprise!

That means that those functions don't return true numeric results and can't be used for plotting for example:

ifomenko
15-Moonstone

Yes, and it`s impossible to send it as argument to another function (:

@ifomenko wrote:

Yes, and it`s impossible to send it as argument to another function (:

Unless you redefine the new function with a symbolic eval as follow up

OR

you define the new function with symbolic eval.

Werner_E_0-1582822847497.png

But then you see again the result of the symbolic eval, so you could have it simpler in the first place 😉

ifomenko
15-Moonstone

Thanks

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

It doesn't need to be so complicated, in Mathcad 11 I can:

The result is the same.

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

That is, by the way, the same method I use to plug symbolic expressions into programs.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That also works in Mathcad 15:

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Interesting find! I see two problems though:

1) Next time I will need this I will have forgotten how to do it.

2) It's a useful, but undocumented, feature, so at some point it will be taken away from us

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

2) It's a useful, but undocumented, feature, so at some point it will be taken away from us

1).  Of course.  Goes without saying. 

2).  I'm tempted to mark your answer correct ...

Stuart

Richard Jackson wrote:

Agreed on!

Hmm, they won't change MC15 that much, I guess and with Prime they have already taken away from us so many documented features, too, so I think it does not matter if documented or not,

Stuart,

In the Mathcad 15 M045 service release I have only no symbolical answer for "p(n)", for the rest all too most, as at you (please see PDF attached).

Pic_1.png

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:VladimirN)

Спасибо, Владимир.

What does Prime do?  If it can't be directly implemented, does it still work in an imported (M15) worksheet?

Richard Jackson wrote:

1) ...

Please let "The System" keep our toys in later versions ....

Stuart

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What does Prime do?  If it can't be directly implemented, does it still work in an imported (M15) worksheet?

What a surprise:

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

What a surprise:

Would anybody with a current maintenance licence like to raise a bug report for this? (after all, it was a long-standing feature in <= Mathcad 15 )

Stuart

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Seems like Prime brought it back to the similar (non-)functionality as Mathcad 11.

What if you evaluate g(2,3) symbolically?

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What if you evaluate g(2,3) symbolically?

The highlighted expression is nothing more than a bitmap image, because the converter didn't know what to do with it.

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

LucMeekes wrote:

Seems like Prime brought it back to the similar (non-)functionality as Mathcad 11.

Hey! Progress!

Stuart

You can find PDF version of your both worksheets for Mathcad Prime 3.1 (without any edits made) in the attachment.

Richard Jackson wrote:

What a surprise:

Not really.

I already noticed that we cannot use symbolic evaluations in a program as we no longer are able to copy them in the placeholders and converted sheets fail to work as you have shown.

Some useful, while admittedly tricky, programs (like symbolic ODE solvers) won't work in Prime 😞

In the Mathcad 15 M045 service release I have only no symbolical answer for "p(n)",

This is the usual behavior when the numerics choke on an unknown variable and you use inline symbolic evaluation.

use p(n)-> in a separate region and you will see the result.

Sometimes the results shows sudenly when you move the region around a bit.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi

With a little trick you avoid having the constants and variables  painted in red. 

SBanswer.jpg

ifomenko
15-Moonstone
(To:-MFra-)

I hope I understand your trick but it doesn`t work in my case and I don`t understand why.

File is attached

Symb suppress-1.png

Top Tags