cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Symbolic 2nd order ODEs using Prime 3.1?

MarkBuckton
4-Participant

Symbolic 2nd order ODEs using Prime 3.1?

I am not sure if my syntax is correct but for some reason Mathcad Prime 3.1 will not solve the following simple 2nd order ODE symbolically. The ODE has this form v''(x) + v(x) = 0 which i believe is the same form solved by Euler. This equation is used to calculate the column buckling equation used by structural engineers. it would be disappointing to learn that math done more than 250 years ago still cannot be computed by the latest version of Mathcad. I would find it hard to believe that MuPad symbolic engine dosen't have such functionality? Is there some hidden software switch in Mathcad to enable full symbolic capability? Or maybe someone could show me a workaround. I am just interested to see if Mathcad gets the same result as in the text book. Mathematica certainly gives an unreconisable form of answer, to me at least when done by hand.

Thank you in advance Mark

7 REPLIES 7

Maple

Mathematica

Hi Valery,

Thank you, yes I agree that Maple and Wolfram Alpha give the correct result. However, Mathematica gives the result in non-standard exponential terms. The question however was - is it possible to produce this result symbolically with Mathcad Prime 3.1 or 3? If not then the adoption of the MuPad symbolic math engine was a disastrous mistake by PTC, in my opinion, especially since Matlab now owns that technology. They would be better served by using Wolfram Alpha's API.

Regards, Mark

For example, we can apply the Laplace transform (in certain cases, however)

DE_laplace.png

Viktor.

Viktor

Hi Viktor

I see, thank you. Nevertheless its a long work around for a small problem. This is probably the way one should do it by hand. So I suppose one can infer that Mathcad's Symbolic engine is crippled when compared to Wolfram and Maple's implementations; which if correct is disappointing state of affairs.  It looks like the human brain still has the advantage.

Kind regards, Mark

Alas, you're right, Mark. "Symbolic Mathcad" is very limited.

Viktor

Viktor
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ViktorKorobov)

Symbolic Mathcad is very limited in Mathcad <> version (2001i or 11), and in Prime.

Here is Mathcad 11:

Note that the result is red, because the initial conditions weren't specified, c1 and c2 are assumed.

Luc

My old dream - Mathcad 11.2 + built-in functions dsolve from Maple.

Viktor
Top Tags