cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Symbolic Evaluation

SFares
12-Amethyst

Symbolic Evaluation

Hello,

i have three questions in the attached sheet about symbolic evaluation. please scroll down in my sheet until you see red arrow. i have a question next to each arrow.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SFares)

I only see two red arrows, although I see three questions.

1) If you want ka to be defined numerically you must use the numeric assignment operator. You have ka followed by a boolean equals. Replace the boolean equals with a numeric assignment.

2) Symbolic math does not handle units. It mostly treats them as undefined variables.

3) No, you do not have that level of control over how the result is displayed.

As an additional note, you should be very careful with the use of the float keyword. It does not just change the precision of the displayed result, it changes the precision of the calculations. If you want to change the precision of the displayed result go to "Format", "Result", and on the "Number Format" tab check "Apply to symbolic results".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SFares)

I only see two red arrows, although I see three questions.

1) If you want ka to be defined numerically you must use the numeric assignment operator. You have ka followed by a boolean equals. Replace the boolean equals with a numeric assignment.

2) Symbolic math does not handle units. It mostly treats them as undefined variables.

3) No, you do not have that level of control over how the result is displayed.

As an additional note, you should be very careful with the use of the float keyword. It does not just change the precision of the displayed result, it changes the precision of the calculations. If you want to change the precision of the displayed result go to "Format", "Result", and on the "Number Format" tab check "Apply to symbolic results".

SFares
12-Amethyst
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you Richard!

Top Tags