cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Symbolic Matrix Solution

rayakannu
1-Newbie

Symbolic Matrix Solution

Can someone guide me as to why I cannot solve a matrix symbolically?

I have attached a file, that needs to be solved in terms of q1, q2, and q3.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Ramani Ayakannu wrote:

Can someone guide me as to why I cannot solve a matrix symbolically?

What do you mean by "solve a matrix"? You can't solve a matrix, you rather can solve an equation for a given variable.

Its unclear to me upon looking at your sheet what you are trying to do and which equation you would like to solve for which variables.

I have attached a file, that needs to be solved in terms of q1, q2, and q3.

Which equation(s) do you want to be solved and which variables should be expressed in terms of q1,2,c? (I don't see any c.3 in your sheet)

If you are after something like the following, simply leave q1,2,c undefined:

You could also use the symbolic "solve" to do the job:

WE

Werner, thanks for responding. but, I am getting the same answer as you.
Capture.PNG

This is what I am getting

sorry, not getting the same answer as you

Werner, I am not sure what you are doing differently, but I am not getting the same answer as yours.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:rayakannu)

Use the simplify operator and the standard definition, not the Boolean for defining a.

Mike

The problem is, that you have defined q.1:=...., q.c:=...... and q.2:=..... before. Delete those definitions and it sure should work.

E.g. you had defined q.0:=a.0. So when Prime solves for q.0 it simplifies it to a.0, which is obviously not what you want.

Give it a try - move the region where you multiply  the inverse matrix with the vector a right to the top of your worksheet and watch the difference.

Furthermore, as Mike already stated, you have not used the "simplify" keyword (you may chose it from the ribbom menu or you may simply manually type it in in the placeholder above the arrow). If you would have used simplify, you would have got (a0 ,a1, a2) as a result just because Prime would have used the definitions you had done before.

The attached sheet should help - I have disabled the definitions I was talking about.

Werner

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:rayakannu)

I'd prefer to proceed as follows:

for rayakannu.jpg

Top Tags