cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Symbolic Systems of Equations

Oranje
5-Regular Member

Symbolic Systems of Equations

Good Day,

I am trying to solve (symbolically) a system of two equations in two unknowns – I­­­min and Imax. These two unknowns represent the minimum and maximum current values, respectively. The answer written in the book (images below) is after simultaneous solution of both equations. I want to see the same result in MathCAD. I also attached my worksheet in MathCAD where I have attempted to solve for the two variables. However, I get a different answer and I do not understand where is Imin and where is Imax from the output that MathCAD provides. Please help me.image.pngimage.png

2 REPLIES 2
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Oranje)

@Oranje wrote:

Good Day,

I am trying to solve (symbolically) a system of two equations in two unknowns – I­­­min and Imax. These two unknowns represent the minimum and maximum current values, respectively. The answer written in the book (images below) is after simultaneous solution of both equations. I want to see the same result in MathCAD.  

It would be hard to impossible to make the results looking the very same. We have not much ways to affect the way the symbolics displays its results.

Below you see the best I could achieve (see also attached Prime 5 worksheet)

B.png

However, I get a different answer and I do not understand where is Imin and where is Imax from the output that MathCAD provides. Please help me.

No, the answer you get from Prime is equivalent to the one in your books, but just quite differently looking.

The symbolic solve will yield a 1 x 2 vector and it may be hard to see where the expression for the first variable ends and the one for the second begins.

So its best to assign the result of the solve command to a 1 x 2 vector of variables and let these display one by one.

BTW, you have inserted a solve block and inside the solve block you used the symbolic solve command. You don't need a solve block. Solve blocks in Prime are for numeric calculations only.

The attached commented worksheet should give you an idea how difficult is may be to get the symbolics to do what you want. Its just a matter of trial and error and a lot of frustration. handling symbolic results sure should be easier and more straightforward.

Oranje
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thank You!

Top Tags