cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Symbolic issue?

ifomenko
15-Moonstone

Symbolic issue?

Hi, I met something strange with symbolic

Strange symbolics.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You like complicated and confusing names in your sheet, don't you? But in stripped down sheets for this forum to show a specific problem, simple names would be preferable.

When you evaluate an expression symbolically, the symbolic traces back the sheet as far as it can. The reason for you sheet failing is because the symbolic is not able to evaluate "Type.const.f(Type)" . I am not sure why but it says that you can't compare variable Type with a string.

Werner_E_0-1584784635266.png

Your second approach works OK because you evaluate "Type.const.f(Type)" only numerically.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

You like complicated and confusing names in your sheet, don't you? But in stripped down sheets for this forum to show a specific problem, simple names would be preferable.

When you evaluate an expression symbolically, the symbolic traces back the sheet as far as it can. The reason for you sheet failing is because the symbolic is not able to evaluate "Type.const.f(Type)" . I am not sure why but it says that you can't compare variable Type with a string.

Werner_E_0-1584784635266.png

Your second approach works OK because you evaluate "Type.const.f(Type)" only numerically.

ifomenko
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks, my dear Werner_E, I should have guessed myself and I`m sorry for complicated names.

As written here

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Pattern-match-exception-problem/m-p/655701/highlight/true#M189224

a moment ago, the problem is the comparison of a variable with a string. Mathcads symbolic muPAD is not able to do that. You may call it a bug or just an inability, a missing feature. The new symboli FriCAS in Prime 6 dos not have this restriction.

ifomenko
15-Moonstone
(To:Werner_E)

I`ve found an easy way to circumvent this limitation

Symbolic with strings.png

Nice workaround!

You may consider using a small utility function to avoid more typing

Werner_E_0-1584979424878.png

Top Tags