cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Symbolic operator in solve block

MUFASA
6-Contributor

Symbolic operator in solve block

I am a user of (real) Mathcad for a long time and now shifted to Mathcad Prime 7.0 and have started learning it. I am facing a problem in using symbolic evaluation in solve blocks using Mathcad Prime. It was a bit easy in (real) Mathcad but now I don't know what's the problem and why prime is not showing the answer.

The problem statement in (real) Mathcad is 

1.png

But when I use the same steps to solve the problem in Mathcad Prime it is showing a question mark with no hint of where the problem occurs.

2.png

Please guide me, what am I missing or it is some incapability of prime that (real) Mathcad has for years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:MUFASA)

You are missing the fact that, in contrast to real Mathcad, Prime does NOT support solving solve block symbolically.

You should set up your solve by solving the set of simultaneous equations symbolically. Create a vector containing the two expressions, and solve that symbolically.

Something like:

LucMeekes_0-1618223558886.png

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You are missing the fact that, in contrast to real Mathcad, Prime does NOT support solving solve block symbolically.

You should set up your solve by solving the set of simultaneous equations symbolically. Create a vector containing the two expressions, and solve that symbolically.

Something like:

LucMeekes_0-1618223558886.png

Success!
Luc

MUFASA
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

Thanks, @LucMeekes  for the answer. I was not expecting that Prime does not support this important feature. Will you please show how will I be able to put the boundary conditions when I create a vector containing the two expressions.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You should expect much more missing, if you were using Mathcad to its full extent. Note that with Prime 7 you are faced with a new symbolic engine, different from the one you used to have in Mathcad 15. So the results may differ, sometimes significantly.

I find there are only two features where Prime outperforms Mathcad:

- Autolabelling (which I like for autolabelling units), but this feature has its drawbacks that you need to be aware of. The best you can do is make sure that different (clearly distinguishable) fonts are used with the labels. That way you can easily see if identifiers are the same, or different. The most frequent problem is when Prime has autolabelled one identifier as a 'variable' and another occurence of the same name as an 'automatic'.

- Multiple dimensions in vectors and matrices.

Success!

Luc

Symbolic evaluation in solve blocks is not supported in Mathcad Prime, but you can do the following to get the same result.

MSheykman_0-1618222958244.png

May I ask an unrelated question? You did not use literal subscripts in Mathcad 15, but used them in Prime document. Why? Any specific reason?

MUFASA
6-Contributor
(To:MSheykman)

No @MSheykman  there is no specific reason. I was doing the problem in Mathcad prime, and when I was not able to figure out why the answer was not showing, quickly developed a (real) Mathcad sheet to know what am I missing. It was developed in a hurry and that's the only reason for not using literal subscripts.

Top Tags