cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Symbolic programming

SteveKeen
1-Newbie

Symbolic programming

I use M14's symbolic programming capability to develop very complex systems of coupled ODEs from relatively easy to read "double entry book-keeping" tables of financial flows. The Mathcad program to do this is a mere 5 lines of code

The identical code in Prime gives me an error message that indicates that the col() function behaves differently in Prime than M14.

Secondly, even when this is fixed, the program doesn't work-it just returns a matrix of zeros.

Can you check this out please Mona? If Prime doesn't support this trick, then even though the new "Alpha" does a much better job than the original "Beta", I still won't be able to migrate from M14 (or M15!) to Prime.
4 REPLIES 4
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:SteveKeen)

Well, it does say in the Alpha guide that symbolic math is not even in Prime 1, so I don't think you should expect too much of it yet.

Richard

Symbolics won't be fully implemented until Prime 2.0. You might see some fragments of symbolics in the Alpha since we started it, but decided we didn't have time to fully implement it for Prime 1.0. We chose to spend more time on fully converting previous worksheets.

Mona
IRstuff
3-Visitor
(To:mzeftel)

Then the symbolic engine should be disabled altogether. Anyone who is even remotely familiar with Mathcad or Studyworks will attempt, either overtly or unintentionally, to invoke the symbolic processor, and get erroneous results.

It would seem more appropriate that the [CTRL]+. operation return something like, "This function is not supported in the current version."

TTFN,
Eden

Eden,

It will be by the time we release.
I agree.

Mona
Top Tags