cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Symbolically solve a multi-variable equation.

chaws
1-Newbie

Symbolically solve a multi-variable equation.

I need help solving for "K" in this equation, symbolically. I'm not sure how to use the solve block for this, any help would/will be appreciated.

Eqn.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

But still, although obtained through the symbolic processor (Maple in this case of Mathcad 11),

the solution is numerical. See:

Luc

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:chaws)

Are you sure that a symbolic solution exists? If yes, is your equation certainly correct?

Mathcad gives:

Also Wolfram Alpha has no solution.

Success!
Luc

Perhaps not. Can mathcad handle boundaries for K, if for example the following (prepared in Maple by professor).

Maple (sol).jpg

But I do know this, as also provided for reference (not to be used in solutions, an exact answer is required).

Appx K.jpg

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

If you're given values for GA & GB, you can solve numerically, just not symbolically:

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, with G.A  and G.B known that makes life simpler:

(Who needs a solve block and guesss values...)

Is this how you want it?

Luc

Yes, is there a chance you could share your Mathcad worksheet? I'm not sure how you set that up, otherwise I'm not familiar with the solve tool.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Sure! This was created in MathCad 11, hope it works in your version.

By the way, the solution space is pretty smooth, although it has limitations (when you try higher values of G.A and G.B).

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

But still, although obtained through the symbolic processor (Maple in this case of Mathcad 11),

the solution is numerical. See:

Luc

Top Tags