cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Symbolics...what am I doing wrong?

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

Symbolics...what am I doing wrong?

Using symbolics (4.0) to develop an algebraic solution - but I get more than I bargained for.  

2018-02-02_7-43-34.jpg

I can't seem to find an assume or other feature to simplify this.  I'm assuming I need to specify real solutions or similar but that doesn't seem to work.  What I'm expecting to see is:

PR=  2018-02-02_7-44-04.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:DJF)

What are you doing wrong?

Using Mathcad for symbolic solving!  Smiley Wink

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I agree with Fred 😉

I assume that j should NOT denote the imaginary unit, right?

Here is my best attempt - I had no luck in persuading Prime to return only the real solution (the one with _x=0)

Bild.PNG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I don't, but then... I have Mathcad 11:

LM_20180203_Symbolic.png

Success!
Luc

wrote:

I don't, but then... I have Mathcad 11:

LM_20180203_Symbolic.png

Success!
Luc

Still disappointing when we expect something more simple like this

bild.PNG

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:LucMeekes)

Disappointing? This is disappointing:

LM_20180204_Symbolic.png

And it doesn't matter if the brackets () are there or not.

Luc

Seems that uncle Wolfram interprets PR as text which he doesn't understand and not as a two letter variable name.

I have not much experience with Wolfram Alpha so I don't know if its possible to use multiple letter variable names with some special syntax but from what I have seen so far it looks like WA would only accept single letter names, alpha beta, etc and indexed variables but only if the index is a number.

I would have guessed that using assume or simplify Maple in MC11 would be able to do the job, like other software do out of the box (here with Geogebra CAS):

Bild1.PNG

Top Tags