cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical issue of Mathcad in calculation with temperature?

SOLVED
PCES

Technical issue of Mathcad in calculation with temperature?

Hi everybody,

I am using Mathcad prime 6.0. I have tried to make some calculus of temperature, but it seems that Mathcad has a problem with calculation of temperature. First I tried: 1F+1F=461.67F (it is not 2F!!!), then 2F/1F=1 (it is not 2). 

PCES_0-1576688523917.png

I don't really know if that is a technical bugs of Mathcad Prime? or it is just a bad copy of Prime in my laptop, or Did I miss something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Technical issue of Mathcad in calculation with temperature?

Turn your temperatures into Kelvin, then add or divide them and then represent the results again in °F. You will see that Mathcad is perfectly correct in what it does.

The conversion between the various temperature units are not simple multipications by a constant factor like we have in meter and feet, etc.

Then, if you think about it, it may not make much sense to add two temperature values. Rather you intend to add a certain temperature in °F to a given tmeperature. Thats what the unit Delta°F is for:

Werner_E_0-1576690974227.png

But admitedly dealing with temperature can be quite a beast - but there is no bug in Mathcad! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Turn your temperatures into Kelvin, then add or divide them and then represent the results again in °F. You will see that Mathcad is perfectly correct in what it does.

The conversion between the various temperature units are not simple multipications by a constant factor like we have in meter and feet, etc.

Then, if you think about it, it may not make much sense to add two temperature values. Rather you intend to add a certain temperature in °F to a given tmeperature. Thats what the unit Delta°F is for:

Werner_E_0-1576690974227.png

But admitedly dealing with temperature can be quite a beast - but there is no bug in Mathcad! 🙂

View solution in original post

Thanks Werner,

Announcements
Check out the latest
Mathcad Tip
"PTC Mathcad 15 / Prime 1-6 Update."