cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Temporarily Disabling the Interpreter in Prime 2.0?

buckeyeman
1-Newbie

Temporarily Disabling the Interpreter in Prime 2.0?

Hi,

It would be interesting to have a response from PTC on this: Is there a way in mcad prime 2.0 to temporarily disable the "interpreter" (for lack of a better term?) in order to facilitate the speedy editing of a ~200-300 line program? So far, prime 2.0 has been EXTREMELY & annoyingly SLOW, reminiscent of the dial-up TSO terminals of yore when it comes to editing a program.

And no, I'm not referring to the ability to disable calculations or regions. And no, v15 is not an option for my particular program.

Thanks for your consideration!

Brad

4 REPLIES 4
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:buckeyeman)

Would you be able to explain what you mean by 'interpreter?

http://www.computer-dictionary-online.org/index.asp?q=interpreter

It's as though there is an interptreter running constantly in the background that interferes with program editing.

Brad

Bradley Gilliam wrote:

http://www.computer-dictionary-online.org/index.asp?q=interpreter

It's as though there is an interptreter running constantly in the background that interferes with program editing.

Thanks, but I think most of us know what an interpreter is. Nevertheless it was unclear to me, too, what kind of interpreter you wanted to be turned off. Every program which processes user input has to loop in a program sequence which "interpretes" the input. And another subroutine, simplified spoken, is responsible for the appropriate screen echo, so you see what you typed. In Mathcad and also in Prime we have a nice 2D formula editing facility and so those routines are a bit more complex compared to a simple line editor. And sure there is more to do than just display the expression as when we enable calculation again, we want the math magic to happen.

Be assured that I fully agree that Prime is far too slow responding to user input and is generally more awkward to use, but I could not image what kind of interpreter could/should be turned off. I don't think that you propagate the idea of being able to switch Prime to a single line edit mode to complete the terminal feeling 😉

You also have to keep in mind that software development nowadays (and that is not limited to PTC at all) does not care in any way if the end user doesn't use the newest and speediest computer generation. Optimizing the code to conserve ressources and still perform well is nothing that pays off for a company 😞

So rather than waiting in vain for an appropriate software update to happen its most of the times easier to invest in a hardware update - I am not sure, though, if this would also apply to Primes performance deficiency.

Brad,

You should not be experiencing editing performance as slow as you mention.

The only thing you can really shut off to affect your experience would be the calculation engine.

As you state, that is not your issue.

There were some perfirmance enhancements made in Prime 3 but if it is as bad as you state I would look at Windows hotfixes.

John

Top Tags