cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

The Graetz problem

glarsen-3
1-Newbie

The Graetz problem

I'm giving this old problem a shot with the pdesolve built-in function. Yes, this problem has an analytical solution, and most likely, it can be solved using dimensional arrays and finite differences too. I might be missing something obvious as to how I have set it up. Please, take a look. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:glarsen-3)

Gus Larsen wrote:

I'm giving this old problem a shot with the pdesolve built-in function. Yes, this problem has an analytical solution, and most likely, it can be solved using dimensional arrays and finite differences too. I might be missing something obvious as to how I have set it up. Please, take a look. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

You're covering the range Y = 0..1, but the second expression in the parentheses contains 1/Y, hence the error.  I'm not sure why it doesn't throw an error at the other end of Y range, as there is a 1/(1-Y^2), which should also give the divide by zero error.

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:glarsen-3)

Gus Larsen wrote:

You're covering the range Y = 0..1, but the second expression in the parentheses contains 1/Y, hence the error.  I'm not sure why it doesn't throw an error at the other end of Y range, as there is a 1/(1-Y^2), which should also give the divide by zero error.

Stuart

Excellent! Thanks, Stuart. I assumed that somehow the software was going to be able to handle the "0/0" at Y=0 by some numerical scheme of the L'Hopital's rule (as Sy also vanishes for the second term). I will keep these limitations in mind. Best, Gus

Top Tags