cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

The hand-held graphing calculator is obsolete.

torme
4-Participant

The hand-held graphing calculator is obsolete.

As a scientist who started with a slide rule, graduated to an HP calculator with RPN, and entered the world of computer math with Mathcad 3 way back when, I consider myself a master of obsolete software. I now serve Russian students as a MOOC group leader/advocate.  There's no money in this because MOOCs are free. I favor the edX Moocs, but sample the complete spectrum.

For the physical sciences it is obvious that high school students wanting to do college work will have to make a quick shift to a computer based math program like Mathcad and give up the hand-held graphing calculator.  But it's still required for the SATs and AP tests.  Furthermore, the MOOCs don't make selection of a computer math program easy.  Statisticians push R, MIT favors Python, others favor MATLAB.  No one seems to be pushing Mathcad.

PTC needs to get Mathcad Express into the high schools.  We also need to know how Mathcad fits in with robotics languages and 3-D printing.  This is where the future is.  I believe that Mathcad is aesthetically a superior product.  I don't have time for programming, but Mathcad Prime 3.0 is not really user friendly when I enter areas of the unknown.  I still struggle with the signals and systems commands.

My focus now is on basic calculus.  Getting high schoolers up to speed with calculus in Mathcad Express is mandatory.  This next generation will be lost unless they can learn faster and deeper than all generations before.  So let's get rid of the hand-held calculator which is holding them back.

1 REPLY 1
sm
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:torme)

Great topic! PTC has been doing a good job marketing Mathcad Express into technical communities, but I'm not sure about academic. I have tried to introduce it at a few schools (that my kids are in), but it does not come with enough information on getting started or where to get academic templates or examples for teachers, curriculum developers and professors. I think its all out there, we just need to guide the right audience to the right places.

Top Tags