Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The requested file is not a valid Mathcad XML work

I have been working on a Mathcad file for the last 3 days. This morning when I selected it in the Open File dialog box I got an error message saying that "The requested file is not a valid Mathcad XML worksheet". In the 'File Open' dialog box, the 'Files of Type' selection is 'All Mathcad files'. In windows explorer, the file is associated correctly with Mathcad and is represented by the Mathcad icon.

This is the only Mathcad file that I am unable to open...I tried others and they work fine.

I did save the this file as an .rtf file yesterday to import to Word. In the past this has never caused any problems...

BTW I use v.12.0
Any ideas???
20 REPLIES 20

As with Eng-Tips, there's no need to cross-post. This is a much smaller site and everyone pretty much reads everything posted.

TTFN,
Eden

I was going to post the file to see if anyone was able to open it or salvage something but it is 3.08MB and this site will not accept >2MB attachements.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks,
Phil

Have you tried opening the file in a text editor and seeing what is actually in it? I wonder if you somehow managed to save the RTF version with an XMCD extension.

� � � � Tom Gutman

Can you zip it?

Richard

here it is zipped.
Phil

I think I inadvertantly started a new thread instead of replying...Oopps!

ok I think Mona and I have figured it out. Seems as though when I saved the .RTF file, I inadvertantly overwrote the Mathcad file. The file was still associated with Mathcad though (had the Mathcad icon and ia listed as a Mathcad document), so when I opened it through either the Mathcad File Open dialogue box or through Windows Explorer, it used Mathcad to open it.
Of course being an RTF file, it couldn't do it. It converts and opens fine in Word but I'll have to recreate the Mathcad file by cutting and pasting I guess.
thanks!
Phil

On 6/7/2005 10:04:26 AM, PhilLee wrote:
> It converts and opens fine in
>Word but I'll have to recreate the
>Mathcad file by cutting and pasting I
>guess.

No such luck I'm afraid! The formulae in an rtf document are pictures. You'll have to retype them all.

Richard

I found this out in short order...

I have the same problem. It seems to me that saving
a rtf is the cause some times, and some times not.
Aargghh..

I will never save a rtf again because you can open
directly a xmcd file with word for printing.