cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Three equations in three unknowns

ptc-4868655
1-Newbie

Three equations in three unknowns

Hello!

How can I find symbolically the ex,ey and Phi variables? I have tried with solve block, but the solution was the guess value.

See the 3 equations in the attachment

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4868655)

6 REPLIES 6

This is a static problem, to find the S1-S4 reaction forces of the statically indeterminate structure with energy method.

If you write equations to solve you have to use the boolean equal sign.

If you use the solve block you will not only have to provide guess values for the variables you want to solve for but must provide values for all variables used.

In Prime (in contrary to Mathcad) a solve block ist only to be evaluated numerically.

What should the three pi's represent?

constants? Then you just have two equations.

functions? Then you have no equation at all

BTW. I noticed that you still have a lot of your questions marked as "Not Answered". You seem to tend to ask but don't come back again to comment the replies given.

The tree Pi represents the inner, outer and total energy, and it is the force times the distance the object is moved

I'm sorry if I don't hit the correct answer button, but I really appreciate yours help. Thank you all!

I got confused because you defined your functions kappa like variables (which works because you use the symbolics) and so guessed wrong as of the equations you want to solve.

Fortunately Richard was around and guesewd right.

You can also use the derivatives in the solve statement:

1.png

A numeric solve block should work, too. But here you would have to define your functions correctly as functions (kappa(ex,ey,phi):=....) and provide values for all constants as well.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4868655)

Like so

HF6.png

Top Tags