cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Troubleshooting with several 3d plots in one graph

jakoblth
1-Newbie

Troubleshooting with several 3d plots in one graph

Hi

I have 3 surface plots and one vector that I would like to plot in the same coordinate system.
The situation is the following (axis scales are predefined and fixed):

1) Each plot by itself works fine

2) If I plot one surface plot and the vector the vector is reduced to a dot

3) If I plot a second surface plot to an existing one mathcad does the "divide by zero"-error.

Any help or work around appreciated! (I run Mathcad 14 on 64-bit Windows 7)

9 REPLIES 9
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jakoblth)

Please post a worksheet showing the problem.

ok, its a bit messy but its the plot all the way to the bottom

thanks so much for your effort!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Could you add the other two plots you are having trouble with. I have no way of guessing what you typed into the graph placeholder for those.

If the vector is so short, then scale or otherwise mesh the surface plot on the same scale as the vector.

jmG

The principle of scaling a vector [pole] and the surface plot.

No matter the type of surfaces and vector, just plot what

you have, if plottable ... You may have to do some re-work.

jmG

Sorry for the inconveniences - new file attached with all the single plots i want to make at the bottom

Scaling solved the Vector problem (might still be incorrect in the attached file but I solved it now)

However, two surface plots in one graph is still a problem.

Maybe the error is the following: when trying to plot in a defualt coordinate system Mathcad always does the divie by zero error which is correct regarding the functions i attempt to plot. I then have to adapt the quickplot data to make it work. But when adding a second surface plot to an existing one it wont let me access the quickplot data anymore for that plot but automatically does the divide by zero error. I can still access quickplot data for plot one.

Thanks for your time!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yes, you have figured it out. It's a bug. When you add a second plot the first thing it should do is enable the tabs for the second plot in the properties dialog. What it actually does first is try to plot it, and then when it fails it just exits without enabling the second tabs. That of course means you can't change the settings that are causing it to fail! You can get around it by defining a function dummy(x,y):=0*x+0*y. Add that as the second plot, then change the Quickplot settings, then replace it with the actual function you want to plot.

I read Richard's reply "it's a bug", don't think so unless a new bug with your version. Real project should not be based on 3D quick plot but on discretized plots. The 3D quick plot tends to lose the specifications thus all the problems and failure to recuperate. My Mathcad 11 does not read your version, so my help stops there unless you "save as 11" or simply an image of the functions that I could reproduce easily. Obviously, if you have a surface plot from data set, I need the data set. All what I'm saying is that you are still in the process of "wrongdoing" .

jmG

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:jeanGiraud)

jean Giraud wrote:

I read Richard's reply "it's a bug", don't think so unless a new bug with your version.

Yes, it's a new bug, although not that new. It doesn't exist in MC11, but does exist in MC13 and later. My guess is that it also exists in MC12, but I don't have it installed and so can't check.

Top Tags