cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Trying to find a MathCAD 15 functionality that I use on MathCAD Prime

reignofratch
6-Contributor

Trying to find a MathCAD 15 functionality that I use on MathCAD Prime

Hello!
I am used to MathCAD Prime but I am currently using MathCAD 15 for the weekend due to my computer being packed up for a move.
I use a lot of text regions with inserted math regions to describe my work, for example if I wanted to type out a base formula that I do not need to calculate, but only need it to express the validity of a following equation I might type something like the following:

{If [A(x)] = [B(x)] for [x]=[0], then [D(s)]=[C(s)]}

[C(s):=s^2+4]

[D(s):=C(s)]

Where {Curved brackets indicate opening a text region} and [Straight ones indicate a math region inside the text region].

Is there an easy way to do this on MathCAD 15? I only know how to start a text region but not how to start a math region inside the text box.

If there's any other easy way to use an equals sign without calculating or assigning any of the variables that would also meet my needs.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:reignofratch)

To enter a math equation into a text region, you can either:
- use the "Insert" menu to enter a "Math Region".
- copy a math region and paste it into the text at the appropriate place.

To prevent evaluation or definition, only use the bold 'equals' sign, obtained by pressing [Ctrl]= . That is press the Control key, then tap the = key. This essentially sets an equality, but it has no further effect unless you try to evaluate it.

Note that you CAN define variables and functions, and perform evaluations using math regions inside a text region. All you define inside one text region is defined as of the top-left corner of the text region in which the defining math regions are embedded. It means that you can evaluate a function to the right of a (large) text region in which it is defined, even when the definition is at the bottom of the page. It also means that sometimes you cannot evaluate inside a text region a function that is defined inside that same text region, even if the definition precedes the evaluation.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:reignofratch)

To enter a math equation into a text region, you can either:
- use the "Insert" menu to enter a "Math Region".
- copy a math region and paste it into the text at the appropriate place.

To prevent evaluation or definition, only use the bold 'equals' sign, obtained by pressing [Ctrl]= . That is press the Control key, then tap the = key. This essentially sets an equality, but it has no further effect unless you try to evaluate it.

Note that you CAN define variables and functions, and perform evaluations using math regions inside a text region. All you define inside one text region is defined as of the top-left corner of the text region in which the defining math regions are embedded. It means that you can evaluate a function to the right of a (large) text region in which it is defined, even when the definition is at the bottom of the page. It also means that sometimes you cannot evaluate inside a text region a function that is defined inside that same text region, even if the definition precedes the evaluation.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags