cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Trying to solve for a variable using iteration and a solve block without previously defining a var.

SS_9985257
4-Participant

Trying to solve for a variable using iteration and a solve block without previously defining a var.

 I am trying to solve this equation using iteration and a solve block for Q without previously defining Q as for my application I would not have the value for Q. Am I on the right track here and if not could somebody point out my mistakes? All of my other variables are previously defined and the only thing I don't have defined is Q. I want to be able to spit out a value for Q given all the other variables definitions. Thanks in advance! Below is an attachment of the solve block, I can provide SS for the other variables as needed.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We don't need no stinking solve block!

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1625697270905.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SS_9985257
4-Participant
(To:SS_9985257)

For refrence, this is my other attempt that I know is in the wrong direction but if it helps anyone:

Capture1.PNG

SS_9985257
4-Participant
(To:SS_9985257)

Third attempt is getting closer to what I want  but unsure if it is exactly what I want...sorry for the spam but this problem is urgent for me.

Capture3.PNG

You should attach your worksheet, not just pictures.

And also state which version of Prime you are using.

In your first attempt using a numerical solve block you might have forgotten that you need to define a first guess value for Q.

In the second attempt using the symbolic solve it might be a problem with Primes infamous auto-label feature. Can tell by just seeing the picture, though.

EDIT: Haven't seen Fred's response at first. If Q is not real valued, the solve block does not find an answer if the guess value is real. So you would have to use a guess like Q:=1i

We don't need no stinking solve block!

Fred_Kohlhepp_0-1625697270905.png

Top Tags