cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Two different symbolic solutions...

bwilson-4
4-Participant

Two different symbolic solutions...

I am getting two different solutions depending on whether I solve indirectly (solve symbolically for the equation first and then plug in variables) or directly (plug variables into the equation and then solve) with the symbolic solver. I have checked using a solve block near the bottom of the sheet and also by hand. I am having trouble recognizing where the the incorrect solution from the direct method is coming from... Is it not good practice to send units through the symbolic solver? Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:bwilson-4)

It is indeed NOT good practice to feed units to the symbolic engine of Mathcad. The symbolic engine will treat them as unknown variables, if you're lucky.

If you want to work symbolically, use ONLY symbols for your variables, solve your system, then feed your data (values of variables, with any units) to the symbolic solution.

You can assign the symolic solution to a function, with your variables as parameters. That saves copying the symbolic solution (and making errors in them by copying).

Here's an example:

LM_20180718_Symbolic.png

Success!
Luc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:bwilson-4)

It is indeed NOT good practice to feed units to the symbolic engine of Mathcad. The symbolic engine will treat them as unknown variables, if you're lucky.

If you want to work symbolically, use ONLY symbols for your variables, solve your system, then feed your data (values of variables, with any units) to the symbolic solution.

You can assign the symolic solution to a function, with your variables as parameters. That saves copying the symbolic solution (and making errors in them by copying).

Here's an example:

LM_20180718_Symbolic.png

Success!
Luc.

Temperature "units" can be quite tricky and a PITA.

If you add a numeric evaluation after defining variables with unit °F, you allow Mathcad to not only store the temp in K for the numeric but also for the symbolics and you get the result you expect with both methods.

B.jpg

Top Tags