cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Unexpected symbolic result

jstavitsky
1-Newbie

Unexpected symbolic result

I cannot seem to reproduce the issue, but I recently had the symbolic solver return something like (10x^5)(y^3)(xy) for (5x^3)(y^2)(2x^2)(y^2). In other words, it was simplified but not _completely_ simplified. Is there a reason it would do that?

Thanks

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joseph Stavitsky wrote:

I cannot seem to reproduce the issue, but I recently had the symbolic solver return something like (10x^5)(y^3)(xy) for (5x^3)(y^2)(2x^2)(y^2). In other words, it was simplified but not _completely_ simplified. Is there a reason it would do that?

Thanks

Joe

Hard to say without a worksheet. My best guess is, that on one occasion you forgot to type a multiplication sign between x and y in the expression to be modified and so you used a new, third variable xy.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Joseph Stavitsky wrote:

Thanks

Joe

Hard to say without a worksheet. My best guess is, that on one occasion you forgot to type a multiplication sign between x and y in the expression to be modified and so you used a new, third variable xy.

Top Tags