cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Unknown error: "failed"_of_mode_Union

SH_9416041
2-Guest

Unknown error: "failed"_of_mode_Union

Hi!

While using Mathcad Prime 6, I encountered a rather strange error. When I try to find solutions to an equation using solve, Mathcad says "Unknown error: "failed"_of_mode_Union". I have done the same procedure a couple times before, and it worked every time. I don't think there's a problem in my code. All the units check out. If anyone could help me solve the problem or recommend a way to get around this method somehow, I would appreciate it very much. I tried solve block, but it only gives one solution and I know there are multiple. I attached the mathcad code.

Thank you in advance!

Sándor Herőczi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mathcads symbolic is far away from being state of the art and with the introduction of a new symbolic engine in Prime 6 it got even worse.

In Prime 6 you have still the option to switch back to the legacy symbolic engine (Calculation -> Calculation Options -> Legacy-Symbolic-Module).  If you do this and use "simplify", you get a result:

Werner_E_0-1606514135410.png

The error message is because the symbolic result is too large to display. The reason is that the symbolic does not know anything about units and treats N, J, kg, s, m, etc. as unrelated unknown variables. This sure blows up the symbolic result. In the subsequent numeric evaluation of omega, the units cancels and we get a simple result.

Primes development goes in glacier speed but if you feel better you may report the error to PTC and hope that it will be fixed. Because in future versions of Prime the old legacy symbolic will not be available anymore.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Mathcads symbolic is far away from being state of the art and with the introduction of a new symbolic engine in Prime 6 it got even worse.

In Prime 6 you have still the option to switch back to the legacy symbolic engine (Calculation -> Calculation Options -> Legacy-Symbolic-Module).  If you do this and use "simplify", you get a result:

Werner_E_0-1606514135410.png

The error message is because the symbolic result is too large to display. The reason is that the symbolic does not know anything about units and treats N, J, kg, s, m, etc. as unrelated unknown variables. This sure blows up the symbolic result. In the subsequent numeric evaluation of omega, the units cancels and we get a simple result.

Primes development goes in glacier speed but if you feel better you may report the error to PTC and hope that it will be fixed. Because in future versions of Prime the old legacy symbolic will not be available anymore.

Thank you so much, it really solved the issue.

Top Tags