cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Using results from Solve command

ptc-3175954
1-Newbie

Using results from Solve command

I am running MathCAD 14 on WinXP. I have an equation with one variable in it, b. See my attachment. I type the equation and then use the Solve keyword to display the solution for b. Since b is a cubic in the equation, it returns three results. Here is my question...I can't figure out how to use b vector results in subsequent operations. Typically, when I want to use a variable in subsequent operations, I will first define the variable with the colon key and the variable is then defined and usable. After using to Solve keyword to display b, I don't know what to do to use b later in other operations. Any input? Thanks, M Ridzon
6 REPLIES 6

Usually you assign (:=) the Solve on the left, so that the resuklt of the -> evaluation is associated with the new formula on the right. This can aslo be done on a new line B(param):= b[0 -> xxx This will make B() a function of the symolic evaluation of the first (zeroth) expression of b Philip PS haven't actually opened the file - I'm on V11 here.

Philip, I resaved it in Ver11 and have attached it here. I'm a little confused with your reply. Would you mind opening my attachment, making the suggested changes, and reposting so I can see what you mean? Thanks, Matt
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3175954)

Mathcad has two calculation modes that are largely separate: symbolic and numeric. Symbolic evaluation of an expression does not automatically result in a numeric assignment. Richard

Richard, Thanks for the input. It now leads me to my next question. I want to create a loop to spit out answers into an array. The array will ultimately be written to a CSV file; I think I know how to create the CSV file. But, I don't know how to create the WHILE loop with an embedded SOLVE command. Please see the attachment. Any input? Thanks, Matt
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-3175954)

See the attached

Richard, Thanks! I was able to get it after seeing your attachment. I appreciate your help. Matt
Top Tags