cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Vanishing_step_size

ML_9447606
6-Contributor

Vanishing_step_size

What causes a vanishing_step_size error? I've tried searching the forums and through PTC support with no luck. I am receiving the error when trying to use Odesolve in the solve block.

4 REPLIES 4

@ML_9447606 wrote:

What causes a vanishing_step_size error? I've tried searching the forums and through PTC support with no luck. I am receiving the error when trying to use Odesolve in the solve block.

vanishing_step_size error ???
When I open your sheet (using Prime 6) the error I get is "Unknown Error"

I don't know whats the reason for the error and I have no solution. But I noticed that the solve block works OK if I change the exponent highlighted in the picture below from 4 to 3 (or something lower). So it might be some kind of numerical problem.

Werner_E_0-1602452939309.png

ML_9447606
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

This is the error I am getting. I'm also positive that the university PC's are using an older version. But I did reduce those the exponents you pointed to 2's and it worked fine. So I may have to try to figure out a workaround. Thank you helping me out! I'm doing my best to learn this software. I guess I'll have plenty to learn even after my course! I love the members of the ptc community!

When I switch the language of Prime 6 from German to English, I get the very same error message as you.

The German error message is something about "Unknown error: A call target threw an exception" which is very unspecific.

ML_9447606
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

I am just gonna follow your advice and lower the exponents cause I don't have the knowledge at all to figure this error to get it to work in its current form. Thank you Werner_E, your knowledge and help is priceless!

Top Tags