cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Variable in Mathcad and Symbollic Differentiation

bmulyanto
6-Contributor

Variable in Mathcad and Symbollic Differentiation

Hi, 

I would like to get the expression of a function after differentiation with respect to a variable.

Somehow Mathcad does not recognize the variable and tells that the variable is undefined.

image.png

it leads to make it impossible to find the derivative.

image.png

numerically, the calculation is correct.

It is just this symbolic feature that are having problem.

I appreciate any suggestion.

8 REPLIES 8

The red circle is one problem, but it shouldn't stop you from getting symbolic derivative:

Capture.PNG

Thanks!
It works.
I though I should not include n.

image.png

Either

B1.png

or

B2.png

The first is the cleaner version.

In the latter case you will get an error by the numerics because n is not defined, but the symbolic evaluations should work nonetheless.

bmulyanto
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you.
I can fix some errors and understand a little bit how to deal with functions and labels.

But I still have more doubts about labels.

In the picture below, Rpu in the denominator in the last equation is labeled as variable, but it still has some errors.
If I copy only the equation into a new sheet/ new file,it works most of the time.

If I copy the equation with other equation before it (the ones at the top), the same problem happens.

image.png

I don't see any errors in your sheet or your file.

Your problem seems not to be one of labeling but that you don't understand, that you have to provide arguments when you are using a function.

If you just use the function name without the correct number of arguments. Mathcad will just tell you that is a function.

B.png

deleted.

Thanks!

I thought I should not put n.
it works now.

image.png

one question, could you tell me what "function" in the result means?

The problem is the inline evaluation (the last equal sign) when you define your functions.

Delete it!

Top Tags