cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Vector Field Graphics

torme
4-Participant

Vector Field Graphics

I'm reading "div, grad, curl and all that: an informal text on vector calculus" by H. M. Schey.

divgradcurl.JPG

I'm having trouble finding a way to create vector field graphs in Mathcad Prime 2.0. For example:

Vector+Fields.JPG

Is it possible to create such graphs in Mathcad Prime 2.0?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:torme)

Vector field plots are a feature of Mathcad 15 and prior, but are not (yet?) available/supported in Mathcad Prime.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Vector field plots are a feature of Mathcad 15 and prior, but are not (yet?) available/supported in Mathcad Prime.

And I thought that this is another version of Mathcad and the strange thing here. Just not the primary function. Mathcad going to su..ck. People pay money and a lack of vector field. This is just ridiculous.

torme
4-Participant

Thanks for the insight. My Mathcad 13 doesn't work on my new computer. I haven't installed Mathcad 15. I have high hopes for Mathcad Prime 3.0. Maybe I'll wait.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Thomas Orme schrieb:

Thanks for the insight. My Mathcad 13 doesn't work on my new computer. I haven't installed Mathcad 15. I have high hopes for Mathcad Prime 3.0. Maybe I'll wait.

There should be a list around here what we have to expect in Prime3, but I am not able to find it at the moment. Don't know if vector filelds are scheduled for P3.

There have been requests for such a document. I'll be sure to post it here as soon as I get my hands on it!

I don't believe vector fields are scheduled for P3...

Roger Yeh schrieb:

There have been requests for such a document. I'll be sure to post it here as soon as I get my hands on it!

I don't believe vector fields are scheduled for P3...

Good we have a workaround at http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-3503

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Thomas Orme wrote:

I'm reading "div, grad, curl and all that: an informal text on vector calculus" by H. M. Schey.

I'm having trouble finding a way to create vector field graphs in Mathcad Prime 2.0. For example:

Is it possible to create such graphs in Mathcad Prime 2.0?

It might be possible.

The image below shows x & y basis for drawing an arrow. Augmenting scaled versions of these gives a matrix that can then be plotted using a waterfall plot.

collab+-+13+02+28+vector+plot+01.jpg

I've only got Prime Express, so can't program a function to handle the translation, rotation and scaling, plus I'm too idle to add rotation in for a demo.

Stuart

Doing it the hard way, this thread could be useful http://communities.ptc.com/message/195905#195905

I just uploaded a solution which does vector field plot in 2D and think its useful for Prime and for "Real Mathcad", too. http://communities.ptc.com/docs/DOC-3503

VF1.png

VF3.png

torme
4-Participant

I'm glad I started this thread, and thrilled that WE is jumping on the problem. I hope the developers of Mathcad Prime 3.0 are taking notice. The need is great! Let me elaborate.

50 years ago at Harvard I stuggled through Engineering Sciences 105 learning some math, but failing to acquire any knowledge about its use in my career as a microbiologist/biochemist/toxicologist (that was my National Cancer Institute position description).

Then with edX and Coursera I had - in my retirement - time to revisit the unlearned. I passed MIT 6.002x and got a certificate. Now I'm going back to MIT 8.02x with the hope of learning once and for all the significance of Maxwell's equation. I have dabbled unsuccessfully in several couses in Discrete Signal Processing. First there was 6.003z. Now there is Coursera https://www.coursera.org/course/dsp and a second run of 6.003z which is based largely on the work of Alan Oppenheim - http://6003z.amolbhave.in/static/Week1News.html.

In all of these cases I ran into difficulties with Mathcad Prime 2.0. Yet 2.0 has a huge number of functions for signal processing and Mathcad 15 according to comment has vector field graphics covered. The problem there is no user manual coverage of these functions. "Help" is a little help, and occasionally there is a useful example.

This is a problem Mathcad should address. The horror of the otherwise excellent DSP courses cited above is that they require some competence with a math computer program. The suggestion and code when it appears favors Python amd MATLAB. I suspect that half the people who register for the DSP courses can't do the homework because they don't know how to program. I try to succeed with Mathcad, and run into brick walls.

This note is both a plea and a spotlight on opportunity for Mathcad Prime 3.0. WE is doing a great job, but he needs help from PTC.

Top Tags