cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Velocity function will not integrate

remslie
12-Amethyst

Velocity function will not integrate

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a base excitation using a velocity versus time waveform as the base excitation. I have imported an excel file and developed a velocity time function using "linterp". When I try to integrate this it flags an error.

Further down the sheet I use an indefinite integral to derive the base input displacement from my velocity waveform. Is this OK. Any assistance would be appreciated. Cheers Ross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

1. In M15 the indefinite integral of sin(x) works ok!

g0.jpg

2.  I've fixed some errors in the sheet and pointed out some mistakes in units - see attached.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:remslie)

Your GY(t) is defined for only numerical applications. Asking for the indefinite integral (the integral without borders) is a symbolic operation. You can't even numerically evaluate an indefinite integral for symbolically known functions like sin(x):

LucMeekes_0-1603175719966.png

in contrast to:

LucMeekes_1-1603175748962.png

To determine the integral of the dataset that you input, simply summing is the best way.

Your datapoints are discrete values. You cannot achieve more accuracy by interpolation.

So:

LucMeekes_2-1603176536625.png

Success!

Luc

remslie
12-Amethyst
(To:LucMeekes)

Luc,

Many thanks for your interest, knowledge  and feedback on my integration issue.

Cheers

Ross

1. In M15 the indefinite integral of sin(x) works ok!

g0.jpg

2.  I've fixed some errors in the sheet and pointed out some mistakes in units - see attached.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:AlanStevens)

"In M15 the indefinite integral of sin(x) works ok!"

Yes, symbolically, but try that numerically...

Luc

@ Luc

"Yes, symbolically, but try that numerically..."

Of course not numerically!  As you demonstrated, the result is a function, not a number (though I missed the fact that you'd shown a numerical = rather than a symbolic -> !).

Alan,

Thanks again for coming to the rescue!. My text in the sheet said the input waveform was acceleration when in fact it should have read velocity. This means that your integrated waveform is in fact displacement. I rejigged the equations to reflect this and bingo I have a solution. Brilliant!😁

Cheers Ross

Top Tags