cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

What happened to my Mathcad 14?

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

What happened to my Mathcad 14?

I can't even open it anymore on my Vista computer. I get a Visual C++ Runtime Error, "abnormal program termination." I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, and I tried repairing it. I keep getting the same error message. And now, PTC provides zero tech support.

16 REPLIES 16
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:FF)

Which version of 14? You shold be running at least M020.

Did it used to run on your Vista computer, and then suddenly stop working? If so, what error message do you get?

Did something else change?

If you need an update to Mathcad 14 m020 go to http://www.ptc.com/support/mathcad_downloads.htm

Mona

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

I found the earlier discussion with Vic, who had an identical problem, and to whom both you and Mona provided suggestions. I tried installing dotnetfx and msxml from the PreReq folder. Dotnetfx was already installed, and msxml did not fix the problem, as Vic thought it had fixed his.

I also tried a repair through Mathcad 14.0 M020.msi, and the Runtime Error reappeared as the repair was taking place, and interrupted the repair until I clicked okay. The same thing happened, the Runtime Error reappearing, when I did the complete uninstall and reinstall.

Next, I guess I'll try your old suggestions to Vic, of deleting the assembly cache and cleaning the registry after a complete uninstall, but that didn't work for Vic, so I doubt it will work for me.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I don't recall teh details of that discussion (too many of them for my tiny brain to store!). Could you post a URL to hyperlink to it.

Thanks

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

The discussion with Vic is at

http://communities.ptc.com/message/19175#19175

The error message is identical to the one that Vic had.

I'll try removing the assembly cache without an uninstall, and if that doesn't work, then I'll try it after an uninstall.

Thank you both. PTC should put you on their payrolls, but they're too cheap to even pay to outsource their tech support.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

So have you tried reinstalling MSXML? That was what seemed to finally fix the problem for Vic. Also check which versions of dotnet you have installed.

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

PTC is a piece of work. Now I can't even acquire my license anymore.

Just deleting the assembly cache did not work.

I uninstalled Mathcad 14 again.

I uninstalled Mathcad 11.

I ran Registry Booster to clean up the registry.

I deleted all of the MathSoft folders in AppData, not just the assembly cache.

I reinstalled Mathcad 14 M020 from the web site, not from the original disk.

During installation, the Runtime Error message popped up again, meaning the problem is not fixed. Then PTC would not let me reacquire the license, because in their warped universe, I had the program running on too many computers. Zero is too many for PTC. Customer Support refers me to a phone number that is inactive and directs callers to the web site.

Mathcad buyers beware!

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Franklin,

Send an email to - and I'll see what I can do to get you some help.

Sorry for all the hassle.

Mona

mzeftel
1-Newbie

When you delete the assembly cache, you don't need to uninstall Mathcad. That's why I asked what error message you are seeing, because sometimes that points to the solution.

Mona

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

DON'T BUY PTC PRODUCTS UNLESS YOU LIKE ZERO TECH SUPPORT.

Here's the useless advice I got from PTC by snail mail, oops, I mean PTC email:

While uninstalling Mathcad 14 follow the steps:

1. Please uninstall all Microsoft .NET framework releases, MSXML, and Mathcad 14.0 from Control panel>add or remove programs.
  2. Go to # Start # Run # type regedit # ok # and delete the Mathcad14 folder from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mathsoft\Mathcad14 tree and also from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Mathsoft\Mathcad14 tree.
  3. Reboot the machine
  4. Install Microsoft .NET Framework and MSXML from the prereq folder of Mathcad CD/Download.
  5. Install Mathcad 14.0.

I went through this whole process twice, spending hours and hours, and each time the Virtual C++ Runtime Error, "abnormal program termination" reappeared when I uninstalled, when I installed, and when I tried to launch.

Now I don't have any Microsoft .NET Framework programs showing in Control Panel at all, because when I try to install it from the PreReq folder, it says It's already part of the (Vista) operating system.

Everyone should be advised that if they buy PTC software, they're out of luck as soon as PTC comes out with a newer version. And then if they buy the newer version, they're out of luck 30 days later.

The rep who sent me this wonderful advice above invited me to write back if I still had problems. More than a day later, I'm still waiting to hear from her.

On top of that, they pulled my license, saying I had exceeded the limit of computers it was installed on. Zero computers, zero Mathcad, zero tech support, zero customer satisfaction. Guess what my grade for PTC is?

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Franklin,

You need to have .Net 3.5 and MSXML 4.0. SP2 installed for Mathcad 14 to run. If you can't install them from the Mathcad install, then go to Microsoft's site to install them. Just search for each at www.microsoft.com.

For Vista, the system requirements say we support

Base OS, Service Pack 1

I asked you to email me so I could forward your email to customer support, to help you get your license back. Did you log a request at http://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/mathcad_logger/options.jsp

I'm not in technical support myself, just trying to be helpful.

Also starting with Mathcad 15, if you purchase or upgrade to Mathcad 15, the price includes a year of maintenance, which is technical support and access to all maintenance releases.

Regards,

Mona

Mathcad Senior Technical Consultant

-

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Thank you for your help, Mona. I got a new license package, but I won't use it until I can open Mathcad, because I'm afraid the new license will get yanked for exceeding the number of authorized computers. The license does me no good anyway until I can open Mathcad.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I got a new license package, but I won't use it until I can open Mathcad, because I'm afraid the new license will get yanked for exceeding the number of authorized computers.

That is not possible. You have a license file that is associated with the host ID of your computer. They have no right, and assuming you have a decent firewall no ability, to get on to your computer and delete it. Using unauthorized access to someone's PC to delete files, even ones you sent them, can land you in jail.

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Sorry, I was imprecise. When I said PTC will yank the new license, I simply meant that after I do some some more uninstalls and reinstalls of Mathcad 14, PTC will once again refuse to activate the new license. Anyway, it's moot. I still can't launch Mathcad.

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Franklin,

I'm a bit confused. They sent you a new license since you had exceeded the number on your old license. It's a new license so it will work. And I don't see that you reinstalled MSXML 4.0 SP2 . As I wrote earlier, you need to have .Net 3.5 and MSXML 4.0. SP2 installed for Mathcad 14 to run. The error message you are seeing indicates that they are not present. Again, if you post your email address or email me at -, I can get someone to help you.

Mona

FF
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Problem solved. Kan, a highly competent tech support engineer at PTC, led me through some arcane process that "registered" my MSXML, and I didn't even need to uninstall and reinstall. I don't believe any human outside PTC could have figured out what to do in this case. But I can now launch Mathcad 14, and so I'm happy, though a little nervous.

Top Tags