cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

What is the meaning of _c1 ?

lvl107
20-Turquoise

What is the meaning of _c1 ?

Hello Everybody,

Meaning+of+_c1.PNG

Thank you inadvance.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:lvl107)

Thats Mathcad!

As I have tried to tell you - you are using the wrong tool for what you are doing (whatever this may be).

Here you used a wrong syntax - you should not create a program to get a second line. Simply press the same shortcut you pressed the first time to get the symbolic eval.

If you use the correct syntax, Mathcad is not able to find a solution if you assume that m is integer, but it finds out that m has to be any integer if you assume that m is real.

Thats crazy and useless, but again - wrong tool.

Or the other way round - wrong task for an otherwise good tool.

Notice that using the correct syntax the vertical bar is much thinner.

1.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Thats Mathcad's way to say the any integer is a solution of the equation.

Here you see what it looks like when Mathcad tells us that every even / every odd integer is solution

1.png

and don't ask why Mathcad now had chosen _n instead of _c1.

But Mathcad is pretty lame in that kind of "fully" solutions and will only work OK for very basic equations.

Look at this:

2.png

Is this Mathcad's way to say "every real number is solution (which would be correct)? Possibly yes, but its obviously not able to simplify the answer to say "any real".

Lets help Mathcad a little bit and lets assume m is real:

3.png

Now it got even worse. Did I already mention that assume ever so often does not work as expected? We can let Mathcad simplify which makes the result a bit better but still not desireable.

4.png

Now lets tell Mathcad we are only interested in positive solutions (which automatically assumes real, of course).

5.png

Now thats really bad! The solution is correct but its not positive, as demanded, and sure not what we would expect when we chose "fully".

Lets help Mathcad even further and lets demand that m should be an integer:

6.png

Great! If we know the solution and tell Mathcad what it is at least Mathcad will confirm its true.

So what you learn fron this is that you should use a tool for what it was made for. And Mathcad sure was not made for integer arithmetic, number theory or the like.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

I greatly appreciate your time for helping me, Werner. But I still have a query :

1.PNG

But:

2.PNG

Thank you once again.

Regards.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Thats Mathcad!

As I have tried to tell you - you are using the wrong tool for what you are doing (whatever this may be).

Here you used a wrong syntax - you should not create a program to get a second line. Simply press the same shortcut you pressed the first time to get the symbolic eval.

If you use the correct syntax, Mathcad is not able to find a solution if you assume that m is integer, but it finds out that m has to be any integer if you assume that m is real.

Thats crazy and useless, but again - wrong tool.

Or the other way round - wrong task for an otherwise good tool.

Notice that using the correct syntax the vertical bar is much thinner.

1.png

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:Werner_E)

Oh, I'm so sorry about wrong syntax . Now, I got it . Many, many, many thanks, Werner.

Best Regards.

Top Tags