Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When MathCad Prime 6?

SOLVED

Re: When MathCad Prime 6?

Hi Fred,

You may want to have a look at this: http://comppad.sourceforge.net/

Anyway, I'm leaning towards making a script (with a GUI) which would generate the final document (the Scilab approach), rather than making a live document (the Mathcad approach) due to inherent limitations of the latter philosophy (no behind-the-scenes operations). It's easier to make your first steps in Mathcad, but then it leads you where it wants, not where you want to go :-)

Highlighted

What are your impressions of comppad? Have you tried it yet? I'm a re-entry engineering student in my 30's just surveying the various software offerings. I usually use MATLAB and Mathcad Prime and just copy paste into my documents. 

Thank you for your time... 

Hello Hum,

bluntly said: I'm not impressed. I'm using MathCad precisely because it is written in natural mathematical notation and not some code as in Excel or Matlab. easily understood by anyone who is not Mathcad savy.

Raiko

It looks like the roadmap for Prime ends at 5.0

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/PTC-Mathcad-Prime-Roadmap-2015-2016-update/td-p/446448

I think the naming convention for Prime might have changed also because now it is explicitly 5.0.0.0 indicating to me that they are only going to be doing the most minimal of chipping away at the software for a very long time! 

As evident by the lingering disparity in functionality between Mathcad 15 and Prime, PTC is not really trying to supersede any previous rendition of engineering calculation software's functionality but instead just make it look like they are, perhaps to investors, via incrementing version numbers and look. I fully expect a third Mathcad product to succeed both 15 and Prime, likely an online version, starting over at square one again, before Prime matches 15... 

Mark my words...

Many users of this forum suspected as much; massive lack of interest on PTC's side to deliver any substantial improvements beyond what prime 2 offered.
There was an entry by a member of the technical advisory team (can't recall who that was) who wrote that their advice (to keep Mathcad 15 functionality and improve GUI etc.) was mostly ignored. It seemed as if PTC was determined to skin MC15 since they thought that only a "Mathcad light" was needed or desired. On that they did deliver: it is rather light but not Mathcad.

For my work, pressure vessel calculations, thermal calculations and measurement data evaluation, mathcad Prime is useless. I'll stick to MC15 as long as possible.

Raiko

You're absolutely right - I think like you - I hope Mathcad 15 will live 10-15 years from now ... I have no alternative...

@Raiko wrote:

For my work, pressure vessel calculations, thermal calculations and measurement data evaluation, mathcad Prime is useless.

Bins.png

Hi Hum,

No, I haven't used comppad- I think the project has been abandoned for 5 years now. I only wanted to show an example of a full-blown text processor which can (kind of) do some basic math as well. Out of the two (excellent text processor, poor math software vs poor text processor, excellent math software) I still prefer the latter, but good to know that there is choice.

@syaacoby wrote:
You're absolutely right - I think like you - I hope Mathcad 15 will live 10-15 years from now ... I have no alternative...

Hi Syaacoby,

As long as you don't need Mathcad (or prime) to drive your parameters in Creo, you have SMath (imo better than Mathcad 15). I hope one day someone adds a Creo interface to SMath and that will be the end of Mathcad. If I was the project manager in PTC, I would have already hired Andrey and incorporate SMath into Creo :-)

@Konrad_A wrote:

. If I was the project manager in PTC, I would have already hired Andrey and incorporate SMath into Creo :-)

please no!!

PTC has already ruined Mathcad, don't let them ruin SMath as well!